UKC

Why so few trousers for the slightly taller than average?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 03 Jul 2013
I'm 6ft tall, inside leg 34". I'm in the market for a new pair of trousers for walking and scrambling in the Scottish hills, to replace my old pair of Berghaus Statis trousers. So I'm looking for something in a medium weight fabric, preferably with a small amount of stretch, a bit of water-repellency - and long enough in the leg not to make me look like I've just put on a teenage growth spurt (my 50th birthday is but a fond memory).

That last feature seems to be extremely poorly catered for in the current market. I've just tried and returned a pair of Mountain Equipment Ibex trousers which met the other requirements but were just too damn short. According to ME's web site they do make them in a longer leg length, but no-one seems to actually stock them. I'm told that the Montane Terra is longish in the leg, but the fabric is too lightweight for my needs. (I tried a new pair of Statis trousers - which some retailers do stock in a longer leg - but Berghaus have changed the design of those completely, including reducing the fabric weight, so that's another reliable choice that's been taken away from me.)

What I am really struggling to understand just now is why outdoor clothing manufacturers and/or retailers don't seem to be interested in catering for people who are a little bit taller than the average. It's not as if I'm freakishly tall. Do they really expect reasonably fit, healthy people never to be have an inside leg of more than 32"?

Apart from blowing off steam a little, I'd add that if anyone can suggest a pair of trousers that might fit my requirements then I'd be happy to hear about it. Even more so if a retailer holding actual stock could be identified!
 iksander 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

I suspect the reason is economy of production - you can get trousers in different lengths, but you pay a premium for the pleasure (eg Mammut Buse Jumps)

I'm the same size as you and find Outdoor Research trousers fit me very well. Try these http://www.fieldandtrek.com/outdoor-research-rambler-trousers-mens-441000 good for anything but high summer or these if you prefer something lightweight http://www.fieldandtrek.com/outdoor-research-ferosi-pants-mens-441143
 GarethSL 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

All of Arc'teryx's trouser line come in long leg lengths, to 35" inside leg.

And if you cant stand the Arc'teryx retail price tag, have a gander at the Vertx Phantom LT pants/trousers, leg lengths including 34, 36 and unfinished. If you can get over the fact they direct these towards the NRA tactical junkie market, you will probably find that they are one of the best lightweight outdoor/active trousers available. (Although i sense you're looking for a lightweight softshell trouser)
needvert 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

Mountain hardware Cordoba comes in 34". Just ordered a 32" pair online. Maybe the rest of their trowsers go that long too.
 Carolyn 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

One of the smaller, independent ME stockists might be prepared to get a long pair in for you if you ask nicely? I haven't needed to recently, but when women's fit was much harder to come by, I've sometimes got them to order them specially.

Or, as someone suggested to me when I was looking for a ME belay jacket - might be worth phoning/emailing ME directly and seeing if they can help, or know who stocks it? Didn't do it in the end as I wanted to try on for size, and found something that worked OK, so can't tell you how successful it might be!
 Reach>Talent 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:
Mammut Basejump soft shell trousers are available upto 35" inside leg.

Just be thankful you aren't 6'8"ish with a 38" inside leg
 Hay 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:
Berghaus Ortler pants come in longer length although long is only 33.
The would fulfill the rest of the criterea though.
Quite full in the leg, no use if you are a bean pole.
 Damo 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:
> I'm 6ft tall, inside leg 34".

I'm 6' 7" tall, inside leg 36". You'll get no sympathy from me, boyo!

Unless you want to go full custom, which you shouldn't need, then Haglofs and Arcteryx both make either relatively long pants, pants in a special Long version. I've actually found Rab pants to often be quite long, relatively, but no idea about their softshell models.

David Barratt 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W: Rab is your brand! they don't make their trousers in short medium long etc. they are all pretty long.
 Hannes 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W: sometimes I wish more companies like Fjallraven would sell you trousers which are uncut so you can adjust them as needed. I'm pretty much exactly the same lengths as you and I've surprisingly had success with a pair of north face trousers for climbing but otherwise it isn't that easy. I'm 32 waist which is a bit of a problem it seems, I need more pies to make the clothes fit.
OP Martin W 03 Jul 2013
Hmm, my previous reply to this thread seems to have been eaten by a voracious internet bit-weevil...

Anyway, thanks for all these helpful suggestions.

The Mammut Basejump are outside my budget, as I suspect the Arc'teryx will be too. The Mountain Hardwear Cordoba is apparently cotton canvas, which doesn't sound ideal for Scotland (although I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise). The Rab Treklite or Alpine Trek look like possibles, though they don't have all the features I'd like. Rab do say that the Treklite is available in 30", 32" and 34" leg.

The Berghaus Ortler could be a good contender, although browsing through the Berghaus web site again it looks like the Borazon II is actually very similar to the old Statis (ie before they changed it). They even list it in my waist & leg size - although it shows as out of stock. One could start to take such things personally...

I do wonder what's going on when manufacturers list a garment as being available in different combinations of waist & leg size, but retailers only list it as S/M/L/XL (Nevisport, I'm looking at you right now). That's not what I call helpful. Nor is being out of stock in common sizes - do these people have no understanding of concepts like production planning & stock control?

Anyway, the search continues. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and advice.
 Mike-W-99 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:
If you can find a local stockist(or head over to fife to their factory shop) then Keela seem to come in generous leg lengths.
 The New NickB 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

My experience is the exact opposite of yours, 5'9" with short legs (30"), all the ones I try seem to be 34" leg, I'm not a fatty either.
 rich.harvey 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W: I'm 6ft 4" and wear Crag Hoppers Kiwi Stretch trousers. Maybe a little lightweight for your needs but I find them good for climbing, walking and scrambling. Most importantly, they fit well!
In reply to Martin W: You didn't say what waist size you are.

If you are a 32" waist or larger then I don't think there is much of an issue as there is no great problem finding trousers in that sort of size. If you are a 28" or 30" waist then I can sympathise massively. I'm 28" waist 33" leg and finding trousers in both XS and Long Leg is doubly difficult and a massive drama.

I've just bought two pairs of TNF Paramount Peak Convertible Pants in Small/Long (30"/34") as that is one of the pairs of general outdoor trousers that I can find closest to my size. Gaynor Sports had them at a big discount last month.
 Neil Williams 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

I've found this as well (35 leg). I tend to end up wearing Tesco cheapo combat trousers, tracky bottoms or even sometimes jeans.

Neil
 Denni 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W:

I'm 6ft 3, 38 waist and 34 inside leg and I have 2 pairs of Montane Terra pants. They are excellent, cheapish enough and very long lasting:

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/legwear/terra-pants

http://www.montane.co.uk/repository/Editor/assets/files/productfiles/585dc4...

Bucketloads of them available from various places including a certain auction site from a company for about £59 ish. You won't go far wrong with these at all.

Hope this helps, Den
 Neil Williams 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Denni:

Might try some of those then. From your post and profile pic you look pretty much the same size and shape as me...

Neil
OP Martin W 03 Jul 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: I'm a 34" waist and I still have problems. The Berghaus Borazon II that looked like a strong contender is out of stock in exactly my size, and one other, out of the 21 size combinations they list <frowny face>. I assume they will produce more stock at some point - though with outdoor gear that often seems to end up being next year (always assuming they haven't changed the design or withdrawn that model altogether by then...)

As I mentioned before, one of the problems seems to be getting retailers to admit that the stuff they sell is available in meaningful sizes. I mean, WTF does "large" mean when you're talking about a pair of trousers?

In reply to The New NickB: At least if they're too long you can do something sensible about it ie roll them up, or actually raise the hem as much as you like. If they're 2" too short then all you can do is look daft - even if you can drop the hem it won't give you what you need.

In reply to Denni: Yeah, I know about the Montane Terra, which do actually come in a long leg as well as short and regular. As I said in the OP, though, they're too lightweight for what I'm looking for. Montane do other trousers, including variations on the Terra in heavier fabrics, but as far as I can see only the original Terra has the long leg option.
 wibb20 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rich.harvey:
> (In reply to Martin W) I'm 6ft 4" and wear Crag Hoppers Kiwi Stretch trousers. Maybe a little lightweight for your needs but I find them good for climbing, walking and scrambling. Most importantly, they fit well!

These are what I use too. I am 6ft 6", 35 inside leg, and I had real trouble finding trousers that didn't look like they lost a fight with my ankles. The Crag Hoppers are lightweight, flexible, wind/rain proof etc. I use mine for climbing, walking and mountaineering etc.

http://www.craghoppers.com/men/trousers/classic-kiwi-trousers.html
 Toerag 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin W: I find new urban camo trousers fit the bill for a budget (I take 34-34). They're not stretchy or water repellent, but you don't need the former and the latter can be done with wash-in waterproofer.
Failign that, Mammut will do something that fits the bill, albeit pricily. Keep an eye on the for sale forum and set up a 'saved search' on ebay and you'll find somethign at a good price.
 rich.harvey 05 Jul 2013
In reply to wibb20: not too expensive either. Can't see the point spending loads on trousers that are going to be trashed.
 wilkesley 07 Jul 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Martin W)
>
> I'm 6ft 3, 38 waist and 34 inside leg and I have 2 pairs of Montane Terra pants. They are excellent, cheapish enough and very long lasting:
>

Interesting. I am 6ft 2" with 34" inside leg and my Montane Terras are way too short. Are yours the standard length? I did try to get some in their L leg length, but nobody stocks them.

For me Rab Vapour Rise and Treklites have long enough legs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...