UKC

Long Causeway Stanage, now open to vehicles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rubbercrumb 04 Jul 2013
Seen any 4x4s on Long Causeway at Stanage?

The gate at the Redmires end has been smashed open.

It's supposed to be closed for repairs, which aren't due until March 2015.

woolsack 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb: Probably smashed open by trolls
 Fredt 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

How do they get out at the other end?
 rogersavery 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of 4x4s and motorbikes going over stanage

but it is a BOAT (byway open to all traffic), so they have a legal right to be their

The highways department of both councils involved have a legal responsibility to maintain it as such and in a reasonable time - March 2015 is not reasonable, so if someone has removed the gate blocking access, then I don't blame them
 deacondeacon 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to rubbercrumb)
>
> How do they get out at the other end?

It's been smashed open at the other end too!
 Sir Chasm 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rogersavery: So they don't currently have a legal right to be their [sic]. And they still won't be happy if the councils find the money to repair it and make it nice and smooth, no pleasing some people.
 deepsoup 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rogersavery:
> don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of 4x4s and motorbikes going over stanage

The last TRO in force (I think it was due to have expired by now, but can't find anything on t'internet to say whether it has or not) imposed a temporary width restriction of 1.5m, so effectively banned 4x4s but didn't affect motorbikes.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> So they don't currently have a legal right to be their [sic]. And they still won't be happy if the councils find the money to repair it and make it nice and smooth, no pleasing some people.

I think it has already been repaired, which presumably is why the barriers are (were?) there - so it doesn't get wrecked again.

Chris
 Sir Chasm 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: You're right. Ah well, plenty of money in the coffers to do it again and again and again.
 xplorer 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

"The gate at the Redmires end has been smashed open"

Good! I don't 4x4, but I'm glad someone has done it, even if only to prove a point. Atleast they got their last run.
 woolsack 04 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb: If the gate has been smashed open it is unlikely to have been done by anyone who cares about 4x4 access as the majority of 4x4 owners will obey TRO's.
OP rubbercrumb 06 Jul 2013
In reply to woolsack:

I spoke to Derbyshire County Council and the Peak District National Park Authority.

There's no TRO.

Just this width restriction until repairs can be carried out. Which won't be for nearly two years.

Hooray!

If you ask me that is a council using its powers in an intelligent way.

The vast majority of users, people, will breathe a sigh of relief.

Someone might need to spend some money on barriers though!

woolsack 06 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb: Taking two years to repair a bit of road is a reason to cheer?
 Dax H 06 Jul 2013
In reply to woolsack: In the eyes of the intolerant it is.
This subject realy annoys me, the off road fraternity only have access to a tiny portion of un metalled areas so those areas are subject to accelerated erosion, if more areas were available there would be less concentrated damage but no, the idea is to reduce the number of places available.
Some climbers are very vocal about stopping off roading due to the damage but don't seem to notice the lack of vegetation and erosion at the base of stannage crag or the polish and damage to the rock from climbing on it.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

I drove past the High Neb parking this evening and the (very substantial) barriers were still intact.

Chris
 deacondeacon 06 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
The upright post at the 'lock' end has been pulled out of the ground, and the lock cut off. You can only see it when close up.
If you're just driving past it looks fine.
 rogersavery 07 Jul 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

And don't forget the offroaders have more legal rights to be there than climbers do

How would the everyone here like it if the peak park closed stanage edge claiming it was going to take 2 years to repair the footpaths, and how would you all feel if you also knew that there was a good possibility that it would never reopen
 wintertree 07 Jul 2013
In reply to rogersavery:

Yes because climbers with their ability to quietly put down perhaps 0.5 horsepower through little ruber shoes with a strong connection to the rock, whilst balancing their human fragility against nature are exactly like off roaders loudly putting down several hundred horsepower through giant rubber wheels designed to grind through nature whilst protected from the world by a big metal box that's spewing forth vile and toxic exhaust fumes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...