UKC

Best camping spot for Helvellyn via Striding Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Off to the Lakes on Monday evening for a few days with my better half. Looking at campsites in the area. I'm not too fussed about the mod cons etc., but I'd like my partner to enjoy her stay.

I've narrowed it down to Sykeside and the Glennridding campsite. Any opinions based on experience would be appreciated.
 Phil1919 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stevemarkperry: Sykeside is nice. Don't know Glennridding.
 Glyno 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stevemarkperry:

Sykeside is very expensive. Gillside Farm in Glenridding is nice and more reasonably priced.
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to stevemarkperry)
>
> Sykeside is very expensive. Gillside Farm in Glenridding is nice and more reasonably priced.

Sykeside is good. Ive stayed at the B&B and the pub grub, beers and single malts are all very good.

malk 09 Jul 2013
In reply to stevemarkperry: Glennridding closer (no parking issues?) and some nice local woodland walks overlooking ullswater. local shop has a fine selection of ales..
(never stayed at either)
 ebygomm 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Glyno:

>Sykeside is very expensive. Gillside Farm in Glenridding is nice and more reasonably priced.

£17 per night at Sykeside for 2 adults + tent (high season)
£16 per night at Glenridding for 2 adults + tent

malk 09 Jul 2013
In reply to ebygomm: + day parking for Helvellyn from Sykeside?
 rallymania 09 Jul 2013

glenridding is quite nice and the pub in the village did pretty tasty food last time i was there

felt 09 Jul 2013

If pushed you can sleep in the toe of that boot in the grounds of the Glenridding hotel, although it's not recommended when it's raining.
 Skol 09 Jul 2013
Hi Steve,
Up by the tarn between the edges is spot on!
If you're up and moving before 7, them you might get the edge to yourself!
Failing that, the Glenridding one is a better option. It was quieter and the pub is good if that interests you? Parking was expensive at the main car park and there's yellow lines everywhere including the lane by the church in Patterdale. I parked for free on the lane behind the main car park in Glenridding.
Skol.

Thanks for all of your input, very much appreciated. I'll take a look through it all properly tomorrow morning.
 Tom Briggs 10 Jul 2013
It's £2.50 to park at Sykeside for the day.
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Cheers, Tom.
 GrahamD 10 Jul 2013

The cafe on completely the ooposite side of the Glenridding car park from the NT shop does a cracking full English to set you up for the day.
 David Cowley 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stevemarkperry: sykeside were going to try and charge me and a friend £10 each for sleeping in their trees in a bivvy bag so personally wouldn't use them again. Glenridding Campsite is great and you Can leave from there to go up onto striding edge
 GrahamD 10 Jul 2013
In reply to David Cowley:
> (In reply to stevemarkperry) sykeside were going to try and charge me and a friend £10 each for sleeping in their trees in a bivvy bag

Doesn't seem unreasonable. As far as the site is concerned its the cleaning and maintainence of the bog and showers which costs the money, not the size of tent.
 halroberts 10 Jul 2013
In reply to stevemarkperry: Side Farm in Patterdale is pretty nice and reasonably priced. Bang on the lake as well.
 David Cowley 10 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamD: lets agree to disagree. arriving at 9:45pm and leaving at 8am prompt as we explained to them. So £10 for a morning p#*s and to brush my teeth is in my opinion steep. Stayed down the road for half the price so that gets my vote + some nice pubs in Glenridding
In reply to David Cowley: Even if you had a dump..thats steep

We had a lovely time camping at Gillside Farm in Glenridding, the perfect location for our objectives. Thanks for all the pointers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...