UKC

Where to get a women's tuxedo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
Question for the floor...

OK, so I'm getting married to Lady Blue, I have two best women, we're thinking of them wearing tuxedos.

Problem: whilst reasonably common in the US (www.hertuxedo, etc) there appears an absolute vacuum of places selling female-fit tuxedos in the UK, unless:

a) we are talking party fancy dress for £50
b) designer, hand made stuff for northwards of £1,000

So, anyone been down this route in the UK and achieved success? Looking at a budget of around £300 per....

Cheers!

John
 Carolyn 10 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Never come across any, sorry! Clearly not quite a tux, but you could probably give a similar impression with a decent black trouser suit and dress shirt plus the trimmings (Austin Reed would probably be one at about the right price range?).

But I suspect you'll have already thought of that option
OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

There's an element of faking it though, we (me + BW) would rather do the job properly, so to speak.

I've found any number of bespoke tailors who will do it, but really £600 is the absolute minimum, or we have:

http://www.mycustomtailor.com/

Who will do it, but obviously its not based in the UK.

Alternatively ordering from

http://www.hertuxedo.com

would be fine, but again not UK.

House of frazer do a jacket

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Mint+Velvet+Black+satin+tuxedo+jacket/185790...

but it looks a bit cheap...

John
 wintertree 10 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

You could try asuitthatfits - a one off custom dinner jacket is a few hudred quid depending on your choices. They don't do women's DJs as standard but perhaps they can adapt a male pattern depending on the ladies' shapes. See if there's a style advisor based, or visiting, near by.

OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to wintertree:

They'll do it happily, but had a chat with them, realistically minimum of £400 per suit, probably nearer £500.
myth 10 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat: Charity Shop perhaps? They often have Tuxedos, might be a task finding womens ones.

Another option, this is not meant to offend or stereotype (but it will anyway). But try asking on a gay/lesbian forum, I would guess that this is a bigger market for a lesbian. Just going from past experience.
 teflonpete 10 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I've asked Mistress Teffers to ask around at work. They don't really do tuxes at her place but they might know of someone who does. I've told her your budget. I'll let you know if she gets back with anything.
OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

really useful, there's some good leads there, thanks!
OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Thank you Sir!
OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to myth:

Good point.
OP John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Mistress Teffers work at a suit place?

Philip 10 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Why not order from the US as tuxedos are their thing. I have to say it sounds a bit odd, are your best women happy to be dressed like a pantomime?
 Tall Clare 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip:

A traditional wedding is pretty much a pantomime anyway.
 Yanis Nayu 11 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Mistress Teffers work at a suit place?

In the clothes section at Aldi.
 teflonpete 11 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Mistress Teffers work at a suit place?

Yep, bespoke tailors in the City. They use a firm in Leeds as one of their suppliers for their more reasonably priced stuff. She's going to give them a ring today and see what they can come up with.
 teflonpete 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> [...]
>
> In the clothes section at Aldi.

That's just a cover for her real job as a spy for an international baked bean smuggling consortium.

Carolyn 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip:
> I have to say it sounds a bit odd, are your best women happy to be dressed like a pantomime?

I suspect many would prefer it to being dressed in a meringue....
OP John_Hat 11 Jul 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

You, sir, are a star...
OP John_Hat 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> Why not order from the US as tuxedos are their thing. I have to say it sounds a bit odd, are your best women happy to be dressed like a pantomime?

Oi, there's me in a tux as well. In any case what's wrong with odd?

To be honest, as Clare says, when it comes to a wedding, what with what the bride and most of the female guests will be wearing, a few people in tuxes are going to be the least of the pantomime.

Actually, both I, and the relevent best women, think that a decent well-tailored tux can look seriously stunning regardless of gender. Do an image search on "women's tuxedo" if you don't believe me.
 Blue Straggler 11 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
>
> To be honest, as Clare says...

Who's Clare and where does she say that? Do you mean Carolyn and have you extrapolated somewhat from her one comment about a "meringue"?

teflonpete 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> [...]
>
> Who's Clare and where does she say that? Do you mean Carolyn and have you extrapolated somewhat from her one comment about a "meringue"?

by - Tall Clare ? on - 07:05 Thu
In reply to Philip:

A traditional wedding is pretty much a pantomime anyway.

Specsavers?
 ebygomm 11 Jul 2013

Getting to that age when you need reading glasses?
 Tall Clare 11 Jul 2013

Hello, I'm Clare. I believe we've known one another for a while...

Ooops.
My eyes were drawn away from Clare's post, by the tantalising prospect of New Mrs Teffers fitting people up in Aldi!

Sorry everyone.
In reply to teflonpete:
>
>
> Specsavers?

My current glasses are FROM Specsavers, maybe that'll give the OP the opportunity to tell me off for not going to a "proper local independent"

teflonpete 11 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Ooops.
> My eyes were drawn away from Clare's post, by the tantalising prospect of New Mrs Teffers fitting people up in Aldi!

Fitting people up? She's a PA, not a CID policewoman. ;0)

In reply to teflonpete:

I was being all smart (in me tux ) and tying it into the international bean smuggling thing, see!
 Conf#2 12 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

So I asked around a bit and the general consensus seems to be that your best bet is to get a blokes one tailored to fit a laydeee.
OP John_Hat 12 Jul 2013
In reply to confusicating:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> So I asked around a bit and the general consensus seems to be that your best bet is to get a blokes one tailored to fit a laydeee.

Many thanks for asking! Gonna be tricky though to go down that route, neither of the ladies concerned are boyish build.
In reply to John_Hat: Best women? in tuxedos? We can see who wears the trousers in your relationship
OP John_Hat 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to John_Hat) Best women? in tuxedos? We can see who wears the trousers in your relationship

Surely I'm marrying the bride, not the best women? *confused*

Bride will be in something which really doesn't deserve being described as a mere "dress". It's being built over the next eight months to exacting specifications so I'm told...
In reply to John_Hat: I think the normal arrangement is that the groom has a best man (who could reasonably be expected to wear tuxedos) and the bride has bridesmaids (who usually wear dresses that are not meant to out do the bride)

But your bride is having best women in tuxedos. Is your groommaid wearing a dress?
 Tall Clare 12 Jul 2013

It's John (and Mrs John-to-be)'s wedding - they can do what they like.

My partner will be wearing a skirt when he marries me, for what it's worth.
In reply to Tall Clare: Jeez, I was only being light hearted, of course they can do what they like.
OP John_Hat 12 Jul 2013
> >
> But your bride is having best women in tuxedos. Is your groommaid wearing a dress?

No, no, you're the wrong way around. I am having two best women (because my two best friends are female). We will all be in Tux.

Lady Blue is wearing aforesaid posh frock and - given her best mates are a man and a woman) having a Chief Bridesman (suit matching her dress) and a Bridesmaid (dress). We were thinking of getting the Chief Bridesman to wear a dress, but, though he was entirely up for it, felt it would be a bit cruel.
 Tall Clare 12 Jul 2013

Sorry!
 teflonpete 17 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Hi John, sorry it took so long to get back but my other half's firm don't do ladies tuxes and neither do any of their subsidiary companies.

However, check out River Island, they do some smart women's tux jackets and blazers for very reasonable prices. Should be easy enough to find some matching / contrasting trousers to go with them.

http://www.riverisland.com/women/coats--jackets/blazers

Sorry not to be of more help. Enjoy your big day! :0)

Pete.
 teflonpete 19 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

Another option came up. YHM.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...