UKC

matterhorn sunglasses needed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colina 10 Jul 2013
probably a silly question however here goes.. was wondering whether glacier type sunglasses would be needed on an ascent of the matterhorn.
could snow blindness or strong sunlight higher up be an issue?
 wilkie14c 10 Jul 2013
In reply to colina: Nomale sunnies are fine, the walk up from the lift and the start of the route is all rock so you not getting any snow relection.
 alasdair19 14 Jul 2013
In reply to colina: yes the sun and glare from the snw high up is an issue. Unless Its very dry when you climb I think sunnies are essential kit. I wouild use cat 4s. And I would lend a pair to a partner daft enough not to have their own.
 Morgan Woods 14 Jul 2013
In reply to alasdair19:

I think people overestimate the need for higher cat lenses. I did the Haute Route in very sunny conditions and felt fine using Cat 3's. I think just having good UV properties is the main thing. If you get a modern well fitted pair that sit close to your face i think you can dispense with the glacier style side flaps.
 alasdair19 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods: I think it depends on u r eyes. I've struggled in the past with ray ban close fitting ones so need to go pretty dark. Rebuffet was so tough he barely needed them !
 Rich W Parker 14 Jul 2013
In reply to colina:

Dude, take a spare pair too. If you loose them you can get really stuffed.
 frano81 14 Jul 2013
In reply to colina: defiantly need cat 3 or 4 sunglasses. when i did it there wasnt a cloud in the sky and it hammers you when you get on the snow on the shoulder. think it would give you a right headache!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...