UKC

Camping how much is too much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 11 Jul 2013
I seem to be consistently getting charged 14 - 16 pounds for a 1-2 man tent (with one person in it) plus car for a nights camping in south wales. This seems extortionate to me considering you can get very nice bunkhouses for only a few quid more.

6 pounds per night seems like a good deal to me and anything under a tenner reasonable.

What do others think?
 d_b 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

If they charge by the tent then get a second person into it and you are down to 6-7 quid a night. Result.
 JH74 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: I agree with you. I suspect however that we are both living in the past.
 Caralynh 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I think that anything more than £7-8 per person per night for a basic (loo and shower block, nothing fancy) site is too much. After all, what are you paying for? Access to a small patch of grass and some water? On sites with more facilities (I'm thinking, for example, the site in Eskdale with a kids adventure playground, tumble driers etc etc) I'm prepared to pay more since I'll be there to use those facilities.
I do think it's reasonable to maybe charge on size of tent rather than number of occupants, since you can fit more small tents on the site, assuming it doesn't have marked pitches. As someone else said on another thread, my biggest gripe is charging more for a campervan than a tent. If not using any hook ups etc, surely there shouldn't be a difference?
Oh, and if more campsites had good drying rooms, or any drying room at all, I'd pay a quid or so more per night!
OP CurlyStevo 11 Jul 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
sorry but I don't like sharing a tent when car camping (unless its with my GF)
 Root1 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
This is why I wild camp as much as possible or stay in huts. Campsites are a ripoff especially when compared to abroad.
Ripoff Britain
 Blue Straggler 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Root1:

Care to give us a like-for-like campsite price comparison between "ripoff Britain" and "abroad"?

In reply to Caralynh:
In south wales they all seem to be in cahoots (Gower and northern Wye Valley areas anyway) and it's quite hard to find cheaper campsites.
 d_b 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Not sure that's possible. Most of the european camp sites I have stayed on have been quite expensive and really nice.
In reply to davidbeynon:
even in chamonix we were only paying 10 euro a night
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> sorry but I don't like sharing a tent when car camping (unless its with my GF)

I think this is generally a problem when camping at popular seaside destinations - pricing is really geared to much larger tent / car occupancy and often for more than just a weekend.

Gower seems to be particularly problematic as there don't seem to be the slightly inland farmers field options you find most places.
 ebygomm 11 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, we struggled to find a basic campsite on the north yorkshire coast. It's all geared up for families with big sites with loads of facilities.
Slugain Howff 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> I seem to be consistently getting charged 14 - 16 pounds for a 1-2 man tent (with one person in it) plus car for a nights camping in south wales.

£12-16 is the going rate in NW Scotland
 Ramblin dave 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I think a lot of them tend to charge what the market will bear. If their target market is genteel walkers or families with kids who would otherwise be stuck forking out X amount for B&Bs they'll tend to be more expensive than if their target market is skinflint climbers who'll otherwise kip in the van in a layby or book into a club hut or a cheap bunkbarn. Also if their target market is families, their "per tent" charge might be assuming an 8-man monster with a load of kids in, and they can't be bothered implementing some sort of complicated sliding scale for the benefit of people in little two-man tents.

It'd be nice if all campsites had some sort of rational and consistent charging scale where different sizes of tent, camper van etc pay based on their use of the available resources, but it's their business and if they want to pick something simple and stick with it then it's my choice to lump it or go elsewhere if I feel like it's not worth what they're charging. And it doesn't seem worth getting huffy that someone with a different setup is getting an unfairly better deal if I'm still paying a decent price for what I get.
 duchessofmalfi 11 Jul 2013
What I particularly despise is pay to book a spot!
 richparry 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I've always found that British campsites seem to charge quite a lot and offer relatively poor facilities when compared with those in other places I've stayed at in Europe.

What annoys me is that often in the uk they kick up a stink about my van, and say that its a commercial vehicle, which they don't allow on site, but are quite happy to allow tatty old transits with a side window as that is deemed to be a camper.

On some sites, if you tell them you are going to be sleeping in the van, you get charged motor home rates.

Through experience, I try to avoid these kind of places.
Camping is not really a cheap option these days.

Alex Winter 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: The campsite beneath Hencloud used to charge 50p per person per night when I first stayed in it about 6 years ago. Saying that, it's fairly primitive and the toilet is 400yards down the road. At the other end of the scale, I was at Henley regatta last weekend and the sites close to the river were charging £30pppn to camp, with a minimum stay of two nights.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> £12-16 is the going rate in NW Scotland

That's not my experience. Most recently (May this year) Morvich (Glen Shiel) were charging £10 for tent/1-person/car. Dunvegan was £7pppn regardless of number of tents/cars. Even the Ullapool site, one of the most expensive I've stayed at, would only charge £11.
Slugain Howff 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Toreador: In reply to Toreador:

Those are the current rates for Clachtoll , Ardmair and Achilitibue

Ramblin dave 11 Jul 2013
In reply to richparry:
I've never really tried the whole van thing.

I've generally ended up staying places that cost about £4 to £10 per person, which compares favourably with almost anything except wildcamping.

In any case, it's not something I can really work myself up into a state of righteous indignation about because pretty much every campsite I can remember staying in has felt like a farmer or a pub or some other locals making a bit of money on the side, with a tariff that feels like they've arbitrarily picked out some numbers that are simple to administer and seem to work. There's never the impression of being a finely tuned corporate machine for cynically extracting as much money out of you as they can. With the possible exception of that place associated with the Cwellyn Arms in Rhyd Ddu.
 Ramblin dave 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> 6 pounds per night seems like a good deal to me and anything under a tenner reasonable.
>
> What do others think?

Off the top of my head, places I stay regularly:
Tom's Field - £7 pppn
Hardhurst Farm, Bamford - £5 pppn
Chapel House Farm, Borrowdale - £6 pppn
Hot And Cold Showers, Nant Peris - about £5 pppn
Hen Cloud - £4 ppn
Gwern Gof Uchaf, Ogwen - £5 pppn

About a tenner for two nights accommodation in an amazing location doesn't seem too upsetting - it's a lot less than I'll spend on beer on an average trip for starters.

Mostly with fairly basic facilities, but then I usually hope not to spend too much of my trip in the toilet block anyway. Not sure where all you lot are going?
Yeah these type of prices are what I usually pay but as mentioned the south wales site I've visited seem very expensive ( I looked around for cheaper too)
 Michael Gordon 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'd agree with you.

I consider £10 a rip-off. £14-£16 is unbelievable!
 Skol 11 Jul 2013
Those are my sort of sites. If you go somewhere that looks expensive then it probably is.
Learned the hard way.
The one on Hen Cloud was 40p / night in 1985, hasn't gone up much and is more than adequate. (Have they got a water tap on the field yet)?
Skol
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I consider £10 a rip-off. £14-£16 is unbelievable!

Based on what ? understanding the business case of the site concerned or because it seems too high ? I would imagine if that I were trying to make a living out of something as seasonal as running a campsite (rather than supplementing a living)I suspect £16 is very believable.

Michael Gordon 11 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Michael Gordon)
>
> Based on what ?

Based on value for money.
 AlanLittle 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to tripehound)
>
> Care to give us a like-for-like campsite price comparison between "ripoff Britain" and "abroad"?

Going rate for a campsite in the Frankenjura is around 7 Euros per person per night. Regardless of how many tents. With good showers and washing facilities, generally somewhere under cover to cook & eat in the rain too.

More than double in the Alps though.

AlanLittle 11 Jul 2013
In reply to rallymania:

Glad to hear it, I'm going there next week.

Skol 11 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
Perhaps it is believable in the eyes of the business person, but not a normal punter.
If I were a local with a field near one of these glamping sites, I would be very opportunistic.
They can only charge so much before they out price themselves?
Austerity and all that?
But, since the national parks are riddled with 'posh pound punters', I can't see prices lowering.

Bobling 11 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Two sorts of customer - families who want to go on holiday for a week somewhere nice and probably not stray far from the tent, and climbers who just want somewhere to sleep, shit and maybe wash and eat. The problem I think is where the climbers have no choice but to stay in the campsites geared towards the families.

I like the sound of "riddled with posh pound punters" Skol.
 Skol 20 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
In reply to xplorer on the other thread.

In reply to Skol:
National trust site

Tent pitch (includes car/motorbike, 1 adult, small tent) £8.25 (low)
£10.25 (mid) £12.50 (high)
Campervan Basic (includes 1 adult) £8.25 (low) £10.25 (mid)
£12.50 (high)
Electric hook up (tents and campervans) £4
Pod (includes maximum 2 adults + 1 child, 1 car/motorbike)
£30.00 (low) £45.00 (mid) £50.00 (high)
Family Pod (includes maximum 2 adults + 3 children, 1 car/motorbike)
£35.00 (low) £50.00 (mid) £55.00 (high)

Extras

Medium tent supplement £3.00 (mid) £6.00 (high)
Large tent supplement £6.00 (mid) £10.00 (high)
Adults (16 and over) £5.50
Children (5 to 15) £2.50

Extra car/motorbike £5.00
Gazebo / mess tent / pup tent* £5.00
Dog (must be kept on lead at all times and max. 2 per pitch, not allowed inside pods) £1.50
Non-refundable booking fee £5.00

That would be decision made for me!
 Roberttaylor 20 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

>Be me
>be in NW Scotland
>stay at Torridon free campsite
>stay behind the kings house for free, because only a Clachaig worshipping daftie would stay at the dead squirrel.
>wild camp loads
>don't pay anything for campsites
>occasionally pay for a campsite when I need a shower.
 jimtitt 20 Jul 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:
Good lord, where do you camp apart from slumming it at Eichlers? The going rate is €8-8.50 p.p. €3 per tent. €1-2 for a car at least in the sites I use.
 Stopsy 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Skol:
Hen Cloud is an exorbitant (tongue firmly in cheek) £3 per person per night now, but alas no running water on the site itself yet.

Robert Taylor: Why the hatred for Red Squirrel? Driving to Glencoe as students the Invercoe campsite charged a small fortune and we moved to red squirrel for the rest of our week and I admit for one the water taps piped into trees and atmosphere all made it worth the while, and if I can't remember it being expensive while living as a perpetually cash strapped student then it can't be that bad can it?! Or has it gone up, I'm heading up in a few weeks so any nasty surprises in store on the finance front?

All the best
 Skol 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Stopsy:
Hi. First campsite was hen cloud in the 80's. 40p?
Squirrel is ok for a night after a few wildcamps, and is ok at ? £8.00.
The trust site across the main road is truly exorbitant. Charged me for bivvying for 8 hrs. They need to be more flexible for people's needs. Ie if you arrive after 10 and go early it's £5?
Skol
In reply to CurlyStevo: Sounds pretty expensive we've just paid €132 total for 8 people, 3 cars and 6 tents in 3 emplacements in a Camping Municipal in Les Pyrénées for 4 nights. So about €17 each for 4 nights. Very clean and quiet.
 Stopsy 21 Jul 2013
In reply to Skol:

I remember reading your previous post about your 10pm 5am stay in a different thread. Not sure I agree with you on the almost pay per hour view but I can see how you're miffed by it though.

If I make use of shower and all the facilities at Red Squirrel I feel £8 isn't too much of a gripe for a night or two. After that I agree wild camp! Although good wild camping practice obviously at all times.

Anyone know the going rate at Glenbrittle campsite at the moment? Planning on spending a few nights there soon too!

All the best.
 Roberttaylor 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Stopsy: If I were going to GC with a big group i.e. more than 5 then the RS would be fine. However, for one or two nights the kings house makes a lot more sense.
 john spence 23 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: £6 or £7 per night at Beeches farm in the Wye Valley is about right. Great site with fire pits and OK facilities. My knees don't like camping for more than four days so prefer huts. It is much cheaper to join a club and live in comfort. I'm in two clubs and have the choice of three huts. Two in Snowdonia and one in the Lakes. Total outlay £60 per year for 365 nights accom' with heating, cooking facilities, showers and beds etc. No booking, no nightly fees no tents to dry out...many clubs have reciprical rights with other clubs and can use huts in other areas.
OP CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to john spence:
do you not still have to pay to actually use the hut though?

OK I'll remember beaches farm for next time I'm in the area, there is another one nearer to the seven estury that's quite basic but pretty cheap too.
 john spence 23 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: £30 membership for one club includes everything. The other club is annual fee Of £15 plus annual season ticket of £30(£45 total) that includes everything, the club pays for gas, electric, heating oil etc. If you attend two work meets per year you don't have to pay the £30 season ticket.
 john spence 23 Jul 2013
In reply to john spence: PS. You can walk to shorncliff from beeches farm.
 Gordonbp 23 Jul 2013
In reply to john spence: Gosh. Either they must have an enormous membership, or a lot of very wealthy donors. We own our cottage and with a membership of about 45 have to rely on members using the cottage at members rates and visitors at visitors rates to provide sufficient income to keep the cottage going.
 gethin_allen 23 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Camping on the Gower is just a con as most of the sites are expensive, have minimum stay limits of 2 nights on the weekends, and the facilities are normally crap/dirty.
I live in Swansea so we usually drive home after a day on the Gower.
 UKC Forums 23 Jul 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Off Belay - A forum for general non-climbing discussions and debate. Discuss politics, society, sport, whatever you feel like on this popular forum. Please keep the trivial and extra light-hearted stuff in The Pub.
Please note - Unsuitable posts in Off Belay will be either moved to The Pub, or just deleted. 'Unsuitable' means chatty posts between mates, trivial jokes and banter, mimic posts or posts with mild bad language in the starter post or title.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 JDDD 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Caralynh:
> After all, what are you paying for?

It has nothing to do with what you are paying for and everything to do with what people will pay. The recent rise in popularity in camping driven by camping supermarkets and the like has driven up prices. You only have to look at the high prices charged by Langdale campsite these days. Given they are still continuously booked out, why wouldn't they charge more?
 john spence 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Gordonbp: Two extremes... one club has less than 30 members and rents a hut off the N.T. fees just cover the rent, ( sadly the N.T. are such greedy barstewards that after the next rent review we will probably surrender the lease) The other club has 250 members and the hut has 48 beds which we let to colleges,schools and outdoor groups. This keeps fees down for members.
 Bob Hughes 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: there's a beautiful lake-side campsite in Northern Spain with a bar, a restaurant and a swimming pool near the Pyrenees that costs 4.25 euros per person + 4.25 euros for a tent. There is probably also a charge for a car but I was travelling by bicycle.
 nw 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Stopsy:

> Anyone know the going rate at Glenbrittle campsite at the moment? Planning on spending a few nights there soon too!
>
>
£7 each for two of us, small tent and car two weeks ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...