UKC

B3 Boots: Avoid skin peeling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 13 Jul 2013
Went to climb Mont Blanc earlier this month - July 2013. Hired a pair of B3 boots from Technique Extreme in Chamonix. Skins above heels peeled off after a couple of hours of walking from Bellevue. Kindly advise way(s) to avoid this from happening again.
In reply to Removed Userherblai: It sounds like your feet aren't used to boots, or the boots were the wrong size or wrong shape for your feet.
 Adam15 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed Userherblai:

Best advice would be to go get fitted and buy your own boots, due to B3 boots being rigid it's hard to get one that fits well. Hire everything else but make sure you have comfy boots
 a crap climber 13 Jul 2013

If I'm wearing my b3 boots when its warm then I often put some zinc oxide tape over my heels and use plenty of talc to keep my feet dry, stops me getting any blisters.

Try different methods of lacing too. I always tie some extra reef knots so I can get the laces really tight over my ankle (see http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/advanced_bootlace_techniques) My partner laces the last two sets of hooks in reverse order (might not make sense without a picture) and swears by it, but it's never worked well for me.

Though, as people have already said, you might just need to toughen your feet up.

If you're going to wear B3s regularly then it's probably best to invest in a pair of your own. They'll break in to your feet and also you can get used to walking in them before you go on any trips.
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Jul 2013
You need to toughen your feet up by the sounds of it.
You dont mention what alpine/mountain walking experience you have.
 davy_boy 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed Userherblai: zinc oxide tape all the way. could also be the heat as I can wear my b3's all winter without blisters but long alpine approaches in hot weather do give me blisters most of the time.
In reply to davy_boy: Zinc oxide is the devil's work if you've already got a blister and not ideal as preventative measures as it isn't smooth and eventually comes off. Duct tape or compeed (depending on your budget!)is by far the most effective for when you feel the start of one coming on. before that you are best to cover the affected area in vaseline. Blisters are casused by friction so reducing that is the only way to prevent blisters. That and better fitting boots!
 sbc_10 14 Jul 2013

I give my heels a healthy dollop of vaseline for light friction rubbing.
If the boot has an edge or a heel cup that is sticking in.....well, try another pair or surgery.
Removed User 14 Jul 2013

Thank you very much for the helpful advices!! I am new to Alpine climbing/walking, I might try B2 boots next time though.

Thanks again!!
 JDDD 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed Userherblai: I have done the same a couple of times. The solution is to either use your own boots or just accept that you are going to loose a lot of skin. Ho hum. I guess you made it?
Removed User 15 Jul 2013

I owe a lot to the drive thus the pains were ignored till the end. Met a Brit who had the same condition and gave up before Tete Rousse.

The wound on the right foot had a minor infection despite daily application of antiseptic.

Yes I made it to the top on a sunny, light wind day - morning of 1 July. The weather made a world of difference. I didn't have to worry about blowing off the mountain, no frost bite risks etc..

BTW the new Gouter Hut is now opened.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...