UKC

peru video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkey_moves 14 Jul 2013

....been ages since ive posted anything, but thought I'd share a short video from a recent trip that some of you might enjoy? (I gone with the intention of filming something else and had another project all lined up that fell through...read I got sick/ams and had to sack it off haha)

anyway here is the video from the trip as it ended up, no story, just hopefully some beautiful shots, and apologies if you hate the music :P

vimeo.com/70253164

Shot mainly on a panasonic gh3 & 2 with only 2 lenses, and very small travel tripod, all edited, processed and graded in CS6 (PP & AE

Nerdy/techy details......All the nighttime long exposure timelapses were shot in full RAW sequences to extract as much detail and ability to deal with noise - read that as stupid storage and render times in post, 10gb raw sequences are not fun...over 350gb of footage in total!

settings ranging up to 3600 iso, wide open apertures (I used quite fast lenses) and 20+ sec exposures, full manual WB, ISO, Focus, shutter etc, many batteries, insane amount of clothing (was wearing 2 down jackets at times it was so cold in the wind, and some of these shots took hours and hours)

froze my ass off over many many long nights at rather hefty altitude....luckily the friction at night is great and the climbing was ace, but regardless the place was amazing,people were cool and a good time was had by all!
 MikeLell 14 Jul 2013
In reply to monkey_moves: Love this! Makes me wanna take that 3rd trip to Huaraz I've been wanting to do for a while. Looked like a familiar track up near The Way Inn early on in the video. Cheers for posting!
OP monkey_moves 14 Jul 2013
In reply to MikeLell: thanks buddy, glad you enjoyed it!! your right some of it was shot up around by the Way Inn
 squicky 14 Jul 2013
In reply to monkey_moves: Awesome. Especially liked the sequences with the stars moving through the sky and the sun rising. Which lenses were you using?
OP monkey_moves 15 Jul 2013
In reply to squicky: cheers buddy! mostly on the 12-35 new lumix lens, but a little on a fast nokton as well
 squicky 18 Jul 2013
In reply to monkey_moves: So did you make them by using rolling 20s shots taken on continuous burst mode? I've used 30s exposures on burst mode and left the camera on a tripod all night to get pictures of meteors, but I haven't put the results together into a film!
OP monkey_moves 18 Jul 2013
In reply to squicky: most of the astro shots ranged from 15-30 sec exposures (moon shots less due to brightness)

I set a delay on an intervalometer (my gh3 has one inbuilt, but u can pick up cheap ones on amazon etc for £20 or canons can use the magic lantern firmware hack)

I usually double the exposure for the delay e.g. 20 sec exposure and interval is 40 sec (that way u take a shot, wait 20 secs take another automatically) u need the delay though to capture movement of the stars (but ure out all night for hrs freezing while it takes 240 shots to give 10 secs of footage at 24fps....nearly 3hrs per timelapse -

if you've got stuff from rolling burst mode as you've described, then sure stick it in a video editor and render it out, all you'll have is a much faster movement as no delay btw shots.....if that makes sense? it will still look cool! just do some noise reduction and colour correcting if you can

i stitch them together with after effects, but most videdo editor software will accept an image sequence so you can usually find a free/cheap way of stitching into a video
 Fraser 18 Jul 2013
In reply to monkey_moves:

Frankly, you almost didn't need to show any bouldering on that to below me away. The stuff you've posted on her before has been very good, but this is exceptional.

Brilliant editing and ....just the overall general creativity really. You could see how much effort has clearly gone into both getting the shots and the production. Excellent work.
OP monkey_moves 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Fraser: thank you dude! kind words

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...