UKC

Pontesford rocks guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
russell baker 14 Jul 2013
Hi everyone. I am trying to get hold of a PDF version of the guide for pontesford rocks in Shropshire. It is in the West Midlands rock guidebook which is now out of print and as hard to find as rocking horse s**t! If anybody has this or even is willing to photocopy the few relevant pages I would be MASSIVELY grateful and more than happy to pay for your services!

Many thanks,

Yours hopefully,

Russell baker (mob: 07708795398).
 dpm23 14 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker: PM me your email address, I have a copy I can send over.
 TobyA 14 Jul 2013
In reply to dpm23: and if dpm's version doesn't work, I can scan those pages from my guidebook.
russell baker 14 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker:

Oh that's great my email address is russelltedbaker@hotmail.com

dpm23 14 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker: Let me know if they come through okay. Just sent.
russell baker 15 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker: Thanks so so much dpm23, that's perfect!! Can I give you something for your efforts?
 dpm23 15 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker: No worries. I got them off someone from UKC so just passing it on!
russell baker 15 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker: ah good man! I shall too look out for anyone needing the guide. Thanks again man!
 wilkesley 15 Jul 2013
In reply to russell baker:

I think that Doug Kerr was the last author of the guide. He let his site expire, as he didn't want to continue maintaining the guide. I did offer to host the guide for him, but for some reason I can't recall he didn't want to do that. It would be nice if whoever holds the copyright agreed that the guide could be redistributed on line, as it doesn't look as though another guide is likely to be published in the near future.
 TobyA 16 Jul 2013
In reply to wilkesley: I have both the first and second editions of the West Mids guide, and it is a shame it's not available now but, having said that, the info in even the second edition is rather out of date these days. I climbed at Nesscliff and Llanymynech yesterday and particularly the latter is a very different crag these days compared to how it is described even in the 90s West Mids guide. And even the Nesscliffe routes have been significantly reappraised it seems since then.

I suspect for the real esoterica, people putting the cliffs on 27crags.com and crowd-sourcing it to get that as accurate and up-to-date as possible is the answer until some enterprising Brummy wants write a new version of the guide. I took a bunch of photos from Southstone the other day so I should put my money where my mouth is and 'topo' that cliff on 27crags!
 wilkesley 16 Jul 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Good points. However, Pontesford is a nice beginners crag in an easily accessible area with no, or few, similar crags nearby. There's not likely to be a raft of new E10's put up there. At the moment there is no guidebook available unless you know someone who has an old copy, or the pdf version.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...