UKC

Tajikistan - Fann Mountains - August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rashwell 14 Jul 2013
I'm trying to organise to do some mountaineering in the Fann Mountains (Tajikistan) in early August. Not the easiest thing as their mountain tourism industry is not too well established yet!

Does anyone have any contacts/advice/info that could help me out?

Thanks!
 AlH 14 Jul 2013
In reply to rashwell: I'm sitting in Dushanbe as I type this and we are using Dimitri Melnichkov (dmelnichkov@hotmail.com) who has been excellent so far. Flexible, knowledgeable, good English and even managed to track down some screw on gas canisters for us. He was recommended to me by a US Guide who used him last year.
Enjoy.
Al
 JdotP 14 Jul 2013
In reply to AlH:
> (In reply to rashwell) I'm sitting in Dushanbe as I type this and we are using Dimitri Melnichkov (dmelnichkov@hotmail.com) who has been excellent so far. Flexible, knowledgeable, good English and even managed to track down some screw on gas canisters for us. He was recommended to me by a US Guide who used him last year.
> Enjoy.
> Al

Myself and a friend are off to climb in Tajikistan in 6 days time. I read this post and thought "F*ck! Alan Halewood is in Dushanbe! I bet he's after the same hill as us!" then I googled and found that you are going to Afghanistan so it is ok Good luck! In a few days time I will also be in Dushanbe enjoying shashlik and a few SimSim...can't wait!
 JdotP 14 Jul 2013
In reply to rashwell:
> I'm trying to organise to do some mountaineering in the Fann Mountains (Tajikistan) in early August. Not the easiest thing as their mountain tourism industry is not too well established yet!
>
> Does anyone have any contacts/advice/info that could help me out?
>
> Thanks!

I have been climbing in Fann mountains last summer (see photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/71640968@N04/sets/72157631212375748/ ).

You can get to a reasonable base camp in 1 day from Dushanbe (half day taxi/hitch hike, half day walking) and there are plenty of easy peaks to do and probably some harder stuff too. For maps the soviet military maps are as good as OS, you can get small sections of them from topomapper for free, and download entire sheets from mapstor if you don't mind paying. There is much information about Fann mountains available, but most of it in Russian. There is a Russian guidebook and probably lots of stuff on www.risk.ru
Can definitely recommend a visit though, Tajikistan is very good value destination, very good food and welcoming to tourists. I am going back there next weekend!
 JdotP 14 Jul 2013
In reply to JdotP:

My photos are of Hissar range, slightly south of Fann mountains, but it is basically same area...
OP rashwell 18 Jul 2013
In reply to AlH:
Thanks that's great, I'll get in touch with him and see...
OP rashwell 18 Jul 2013
In reply to JdotP:
Thanks JdotP! Is that the Artuch basecamp you were mentioning? And I'll look into those maps too..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...