UKC

langdale valley camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukem6 15 Jul 2013
hey all I'm heading to langdale this weekend and intend on camping but i wont be staying at national trust campsite.. anyone know how much space there will be at bay bro
wn campsite and if i turned up at 11pm would i be able to find space to pitch up. its a 4 hour drive so would hate to get there and find no affordable beds. any one able to help
 Rick Graham 15 Jul 2013
I used to stay there a lot but its a "family campsite" now so may lock the gate after a certain time.

If you cannot get in quietly then a quick overnight pitch at the roadside may be appropriate.

Possibilities include driving to the end of the valley and camping near the top of the Blea Tarn Road. (about 3 miles )
Turning back and park on Elterwater Common. (about 1 mile)
Look at a map, its always hard to find the best doss in the dark.

Or support the NT ( MFB may be along shortly to sing its praises )
OP Lukem6 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6: NT is full. and expensive this timw of year. probably going to find a selection of campsites between ambleside and langdale and try them all.
 Rick Graham 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
Dont forget about Coniston Hall CS
 John Kelly 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
Hi Luke - Rick, as usual, talks a lot of sense however should you want to book Langdale NT drop me an email with your phone number and I will ring you when i'm at work tomorrow - price is what it is
cheers
john
 John Kelly 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: now you've lost plot, white ghyll, gimmer, neckband, pavey, raven vs dow and a couple of quarries, no contest
OP Lukem6 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6: oh we would love to return to National trust campsite i've stayed there before and it was great... especially the drying room. we are just short on cash this time round but hoping to have a little fun on broad crag or Gimmer so we're just looking at alternatives. for 3 people 2 tents 1 car
 Simon Caldwell 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
I've never known Bays Brown to fill up, even on bank holidays. They don't lock the gate. If in doubt give them a ring http://baysbrownfarmcampsite.co.uk/
 John Kelly 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

sounds like fun - have a good weekend and enjoy the sun

ps we have redone the drying rooms - they are now unbelievable - we can crank them up to 35 degrees c and there's a fan that takes out damp air - scrounges the heat - warms the incoming dry air- all powered by a biomass woodchip boiler - shouldn't say this but I'm quite looking forward to the next wet spell to see how they perform
 John Kelly 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Never known them get full on a Friday evening.
Very rarely they put a full sign up on Saturday afternoon
They are a good bet when everything else is full
OP Lukem6 15 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly: next heavy rain spell and i mean heavy rain i'll be there. just for the drying room
 John Kelly 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6: grand, john
 Rick Graham 15 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
> (In reply to Rick Graham) now you've lost plot, white ghyll, gimmer, neckband, pavey, raven vs dow and a couple of quarries, no contest

I was not comparing the climbing, but you can argue it out with the angry pensioner and his sidekicks if you dare.

Just that Coniston Hall CS is huge and still convenient to Langdale.
 peas65 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

And great if you love to be kept awake till 3am by dance music, baysbrown is much better than coniston hall!
 John Kelly 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

my apologies - i should probably start reading post properly

Angry old folk - I don't want to do that

Coniston Camping - On the road between Coniston and Torver there is another campsite, Hoathwite, its NT, £6 a night for normal size tents, very basic facilities (event toilets and one portaloo style shower at the moment), access to the lake - its a bit of a different set up than the other NT sites in area, much lass organised - may suit some (no drying room)

John Kelly
J1234 16 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
> (In reply to Rick Graham)
>
> On the road between Coniston and Torver there is another campsite, Hoathwite, its NT, £6 a night for normal size tents, very basic facilities (event toilets and one portaloo style shower at the moment), access to the lake - its a bit of a different set up than the other NT sites in area, much lass organised - may suit some (no drying room)
>
> John Kelly

and last time I was there it was horrific with a huge bunch off Music playing chavs pissing in full view of everyone and making noise until god knows when in the morning. When I asked for a refund of my money 2adults + 2 children + car + tent in the morning, our noble NT warden said he had banked the money but could do me a free night if I came again.
 GrahamD 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

There is a good looking little site up at Loughrigg Tarn.
 John Kelly 16 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

just clarify for me - Hoathwaite or Langdale and how much was it?

john kelly
J1234 16 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
It was the Hoathwiate one about two years ago now, not last year, year before, after that I pretty much gave up on lakeland campsites and just use Huts now, either stop in them or camp at them. How much, cannot remember.
It`s been such poor weather that I do feel sorry for campsite owners but they will have to run a tight ship now the weather is good and not be greedy or they will put people off, it`s a very expensive weekend now for a family to come camping. I suspect that Langdale campsite has a good warden.
 John Kelly 16 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

If it's any help I would be happy to transfer the free night offer to Langdale at any date that suits you - bit of an upgrade.
(maybe we could continue that discussion via email)

Noise on sites- its a really difficult one to control sensibly, you could run a site so that no one would make a noise however not sure we would want to stay there.
Camping for me is about enjoying as much freedom in the outdoors as is practical however that freedom can mean that your neighbour's might have a different bedtime from yourself.

Jenny C 16 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
> (In reply to sjc)
> Camping for me is about enjoying as much freedom in the outdoors as is practical however that freedom can mean that your neighbour's might have a different bedtime from yourself.

I can cope with kids playing or people chatting into the small hours, but music/TVs/radio really piss me off.
 John Kelly 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Jenny C:

In my experience there is a lot of variation in what people consider intrusive - some people will tolerate music, wild parties etc until the wee small hrs and others will be really upset by quiet chatting - personally I like it quiet when I'm going to sleep (will accept howling gale and rain though)
J1234 16 Jul 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
Thats very decent of you. No need for that but thanks for the offer, I shall make a point of coming to your site but probably in winter with my daughter and will make myself known, but just to say hello, not for freebies.
 John Kelly 16 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

No problem - it sounded like you had a rough trot on your last visit and essentially hadn't got what you had paid for - I think we should always try to treat our customers fairly and hence the offer - see you over the winter - its a brilliant time to be in the valley.
cheers
John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...