UKC

Peak Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone know if midges are likely to be a problem in the Peak tomorrow ? We're thinking of either Horseshoe, Harpur Hill, Intake or Smalldale. Thanks for any advice.
 Jon Stewart 19 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

They won't be around if the sun's bright. And the limestone is usually pretty OK.

I just advise you not to go to a sheltered spot on Stanage at dusk, you won't return alive.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Many thanks - I know what you mean about Stanage !
 jimjimjim 20 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing: Every year these threads confuse me. over all the years I've been climbing in the peak I've been midge off a crag once. That was at Chatsworth, we jumped in the car and drove 10 mins to Stony. Just go climbing and see what happens.
 MischaHY 20 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing: In the day time, no. After about 8-9PM or earlier in sheltered areas, then yes. My god yes.
In reply to jimjimjim:
We went to Horseshoe and it was midge free !
In reply to rasmanisar:
Thanks ! They just love me .......
 Jonny2vests 21 Jul 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to I like climbing) Every year these threads confuse me. over all the years I've been climbing in the peak I've been midge off a crag once.

Really? Not sure how often you go, but when I lived in Sheffield, it was a regular occurrence in July if there was no wind. Like you, Stoney would be my first option, always midge free. They seem to prefer moorland.
 Jonny2vests 21 Jul 2013
In reply to rasmanisar:
> (In reply to I like climbing) In the day time, no. After about 8-9PM or earlier in sheltered areas, then yes. My god yes.

It can get unbearable during the day as well. Burbage is way worse than Stanage, Higgar is a good bet because it gets any breeze going.
 jimjimjim 21 Jul 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: almost every weekend and regularly during the week for over ten years. I know you get them but not enough to stop you getting out. The peak crags are close together so you can always just suck it and see. No need for the question really, just go climbing. Skye....now that's where the midges live.
 Jonny2vests 21 Jul 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) almost every weekend and regularly during the week for over ten years. I know you get them but not enough to stop you getting out. The peak crags are close together so you can always just suck it and see.

I used to go midweek a lot during the day, and have often been part of a mass exodus, literally running away while frothing at the mouth in desperation. Maybe you're just harder than me.

> Skye....now that's where the midges live.

Sabre-toothed midges no less.
 Bulls Crack 21 Jul 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to I like climbing) Every year these threads confuse me. over all the years I've been climbing in the peak I've been midge off a crag once. That was at Chatsworth, we jumped in the car and drove 10 mins to Stony. Just go climbing and see what happens.

+1
 Jon Stewart 21 Jul 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> [...]
>
> I used to go midweek a lot during the day, and have often been part of a mass exodus, literally running away while frothing at the mouth in desperation. Maybe you're just harder than me.

I would quite often drive up to Stanage to find the place absolutely deserted on a hot, still summer evening. If I bothered to get out of the car, it would soon become clear why there was no one on the crag, the air darkening in the think clouds of midges. At worst, the air could reach 40% midge; the density of midges would become so high that they were actually joining together to form super-midges, and those in turn joining to form mega-midges.

Under these circumstances I too would retreat to Stoney.

paul mitchell 30 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing: Get a midge head net,and a spare one for your climbing partner,if they are too tight to get one.Will save money at the indoor wall,and good fun watching those without nets legging it in disarray.About a tenner each.
 coinneach 30 Jul 2013
In reply to paul mitchell:

Bunch of soft southern pooves................................

This is a proper insect.

Cool shades too.........................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23506661
In reply to paul mitchell:
Is this what you do ?
 Simon4 31 Jul 2013
In reply to coinneach: That picture is so terrifying, it makes climbing in Transylvania seem positively safe by comparison.

After all, you can do something to protect against werewolves and vampires, but there is no chance of garlic or crosses protecting against midges.
 USBRIT 31 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing: If you cover all exposed areas with a a repellent that contains A LOT of Deet.. you will have no problems. Such repellent works not because of smell but the insects do not like to stand in it.So ALL skin must be covered.
 Ciderslider 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to I like climbing)
> I just advise you not to go to a sheltered spot on Stanage at dusk, you won't return alive.

Tell me about it! I had heard about Peak midges but never experienced the little blighters. That was until last sat - we were by the unconquerables at about half six, suddenly the wind droppped and all of a sudden it was like feckin' zulu dawn. You could actually see clouds of them rising out of the undergrowth. Run for your lives !!!!!!!

In reply to USBRIT:
Thank you ! I tend to use Jungle formula but will def check Deet which I've read good things about.
 caradoc 31 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing: Belaying while surrounded by midges is difficult.
 Offwidth 31 Jul 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

Deet is a nasty chemical best avoided if possible. Better climb where there are no midges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...