UKC

Two sheep stuck/Pavey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thinredline20 21 Jul 2013
Two sheep are stuck on a small ledge just to the right of Golden slipper on Pavey.They look to me like they have been there a while. Who can help?
 aln 21 Jul 2013
In reply to thinredline20:
>Who can help?
Dave Birkett.
OP thinredline20 21 Jul 2013
In reply to aln: Any idea how I can get in touch with him?
Lessworkmoreclimbing 21 Jul 2013
They were there when we were last there, 8th June! A neighbour advised us to call 101 and they would let mountain rescue know who apparently sometimes rescue sheep as training exercises. 101 could not help. I sent a message to Langdale mountain rescue via their website but maybe they're in no need of training opportunities at present!
 Pete Potter 21 Jul 2013
In reply to thinredline20: You may be surprised to hear that the RSPCA have rope rescue teams so try giving them a ring.
J1234 21 Jul 2013
When you come down from the crag, go to a Farm, any Farm (in Langdale) and tell the Farmer who will tell other farmers, and the job will be sorted. Amazingly posting about sheep on a climbing forum is not really that constructive.
You may also find this useful http://tinyurl.com/kg3t7ne .
 Cobbler 21 Jul 2013

I expect the NPA will know who farms the land - 01539 724555.
 MarkRoe 22 Jul 2013

This is unbelievable:

Myself and two of my friends rescued two sheep from literally that exact ledge on the 17th of June!!! (These will be the two mentioned by Lessworkmoreclimbing).

I can't believe another pair have ended up there, It must be a natural channeling and catching feature or something. Stupid animals.

Why didn't you get them off at the time? Not a difficult job to do: abseil in; grab sheep; wrap a spare sling around sheep; abseil to bottom; let sheep go.

ALC
 blurty 22 Jul 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

I did that with a kid goat once, on Tryfan. It put it in my jacked, where it shat and pissed, and took it to the top of the crag. It them ran back down the Severe to finish off munching at the interesting bit of greenery it had found, before being so rudely interrupted.

I've never bothered since & often wonder how 'stuck' sheep, goats, etc really are.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2013
> (In reply to thinredline20)
>
> Why didn't you get them off at the time? Not a difficult job to do: abseil in; grab sheep; wrap a spare sling around sheep; abseil to bottom; let sheep go.

I presume from your post that that's what you'd do? I know that I absolutely could not be arsed with hanging on an ab rope manhandling a couple of those stupid, stinking animals, which I would expect to cover me in their shit and piss in the process. A baby (human) stuck on a ledge I probably would attend to, but livestock rescue is not what I go out climbing for - their owner can take responsibility for that job.

I hope that doesn't make me a really bad person. I will happily admit to being a bit of a lazy-arse though.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yes I would. Lanolin isn't a bad smell

You're on a crag and have the equipment and wherewithal to do it so why not? The farmer is only going to have to get a climber to do it anyway.

Many if not most crags used to have stock proof walls across their top to stop this happening. The sheep start grazing then think "oh there's some good grass/whatever down there" and drop down to a ledge. They then can't get back up so drop down to the next ledge and so on until they run out of ledges.

ALC
 gear boy 22 Jul 2013
In reply to thinredline20: Dave Birkett does do most of the sheep rescue in the lakes, you should have popped in to the Stickle barn or ODG and they would have got the message through,
Personally I just rescue them myself, you can usually tell if they are stuck for a while due to amount of shit and lack of vegetation around them, consistent bleating etc.
last summer rescued one of the side of Pavey and once down, met Dave who had just slogged up to rescue it, apologised to him for his wasted walk....
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> The sheep start grazing then think "oh there's some good grass/whatever down there" and drop down to a ledge. They then can't get back up so drop down to the next ledge and so on until they run out of ledges.

Well then, they should learn the basic rules of soloing shouldn't they - don't make irreversible moves unless you know you can complete the route.

In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
> [...]
>
> Well then, they should learn the basic rules of soloing shouldn't they - don't make irreversible moves unless you know you can complete the route.

I'll let you do the training

ALC
 BigHairyIan 22 Jul 2013
In reply to thinredline20: Twenty years ago I came across one.sheep on Pavy Ark. We did try to.rescue it but it was in danger of running off the ledge to.get away from us! We ended up leaving it there. When we were at the bottom sorting out for going home the sheep fell off the rock! It must have tried to climb up the gully down which it had fallen. It screamed like a person! And made a horrible sound when it bounced on the ground!!!
 joan cooper 22 Jul 2013
In reply to thinredline20: Did it get up and run away?
 JDal 22 Jul 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: I've either read, or heard him say at a lecture, that Dave Birkett leaves them until they're starving and then throws some grass/hay down where he wants them to be so he can safely pounce.
 tanssop 22 Jul 2013

Maybe if they had used chalk they would have had better friction and escaped the ledge
 althesin 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: A good start would be to read "8 out of 10 sheep"
 Skol 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JDal:
My father in law does this , and their back legs get stuck in his wellies! Game over.
 xplorer 22 Jul 2013
In reply to JDal:

"In reply to BigHairyIan: I've either read, or heard him say at a lecture, that Dave Birkett leaves them until they're starving and then throws some grass/hay down where he wants them to be so he can safely pounce."

Hmmmmmm, that statement is a little troubling, to say the least.
 Lil_Pete 09 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer: Hahaha, thanks xplorer - made my night!
 krasavenko 09 Aug 2013
> (In reply to thinredline20)
>
> Why didn't you get them off at the time? Not a difficult job to do: abseil in; grab sheep; wrap a spare sling around sheep; abseil to bottom; let sheep go.
>
> ALC

abseil in; grab sheep; wrap a spare sling around sheep; abseil to bottom;have a roast :P
 allycat 09 Aug 2013
In reply to krasavenko:

Don't forget the mint sauce!
 gethin_allen 09 Aug 2013
In reply to allycat: a bit late now, Birket has rescued them already.
 krasavenko 13 Aug 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: I am sure there will be more sheep needing 'rescue'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...