UKC

South East France Climbing Destinations - Orpierre?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sdavies141 23 Jul 2013
Hi

I am off to the south of France for two weeks with my girlfriend. We want to do some sport routes, ideal crag would be plenty of routes at the 4 - 5+ grade, then some high quality routes up to 6C+/7A.

We would also like to do some easy (max 5+) multi-pitch routes so my girlfriend can climb them with me.

So initial ideas are Orpierre, outlying Verdon ..... but really looking for peoples recommendations.

Also would be great if you could suggest some campsites as well.

We are finishing our trip off in Chamonix Valley.

Thanks,

Sam
 Enty 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Sambo:

What time of year?

E
 GridNorth 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Sambo: You don't say when you are going. July and August would be too hot for me personally at Orpierre and there are not many routes in the shade as it is mostly South facing. Ailefroide in the Ecrin near Briancon could be better as it is at an altitude of 1500 metres in an alpine setting but does not seem to suffer from typical alpine weather. It offers single and multi-pitch routes across the grades. It's mostly granite slabs and after 2 weeks you may well feel slabbed out but there are other limestone crags no more than half an hour away. Rocher Baron, Ponteil, Freissinieres etc. It's one of my favourite places and I would go to live there tomorrow if I could persuade my better half.
 Enty 23 Jul 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

I certainly wouldn't like to be at Orp now - I'm just over an hour away and it's 38° outside.

North side of the Dentelles, NF ST Leger or Malaucene in the morning is about all that's bearable at the moment.

E
OP sdavies141 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Sambo: OK so we are off on Friday, only planning 3 or 4 days of climbing before we go to Chamonix where we will mostly be hiking ...... we are extremely flexible on location so any advice is hugely appreciated!

JLS 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Sambo:

As said above, Ailefroide would sound a better bet and has everything you are looking for including the hiking.
 tjekel 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Sambo: Col de Colombiere could fit the bill - ist between 1600 and 2300 asl, reasonably Close to Cham, and has perfect limestone (both cragging and easy multipitch. some info to be had from Schweiz plaisier West ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...