UKC

Kyrgyzstan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
musashi 23 Jul 2013
Hi,

I will be in Kyrgyzstan for 3 weeks this August, I am planning some trekking.

In particular the trek to the glacier Enilchek sounds very interesting; but i have some doubts as I ve found different feedbacks.

Few questions, if anyone could help.

What kind of trekking is that? A "normal one" where you need boots, warm clothes, sleeping bag etc..or it is more technical (ropes, crampons, axe etc)? Is the trail clear and can be done independently or do we need a guide?

-How long is the trek (minimum)?and How much does it cost approximately?

-What is the best/quickest route? (I m not planning a 10 days trek to be honest)

Any info is much appreciated

I have been told that also the At-Bashy area offers good trekking possibilities, but the guide doesn't say much.

Thanks in advance for any info..please bear in mind I will be there with a Kyrgyz friend, therefore we should have our own vehicle(4X4) and obviously the language shouldn't be a problem.
 pdone 24 Jul 2013
In reply to musashi:
> Hi,
>
> I will be in Kyrgyzstan for 3 weeks this August, I am planning some trekking.
>
> In particular the trek to the glacier Enilchek sounds very interesting; but i have some doubts as I ve found different feedbacks.
>
> Few questions, if anyone could help.
>
> What kind of trekking is that? A "normal one" where you need boots, warm clothes, sleeping bag etc..or it is more technical (ropes, crampons, axe etc)? Is the trail clear and can be done independently or do we need a guide?
>
>
> -How long is the trek (minimum)?and How much does it cost approximately?
>
> -What is the best/quickest route? (I m not planning a 10 days trek to be honest)
>
> Any info is much appreciated
>
> I have been told that also the At-Bashy area offers good trekking possibilities, but the guide doesn't say much.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info..please bear in mind I will be there with a Kyrgyz friend, therefore we should have our own vehicle(4X4) and obviously the language shouldn't be a problem.

I assume you mean trekking to, and up, the Inylchek Glacier to the Inylchek basecamp? If so this is not technical but normal trekking but will involve walking on a dry glacier and its moraines so it will be rough walking (it may be wise to carry an ice-axe, crampons and a rope).

There will not be a clear "trail" although there may be traces of a path in places; you will need to be able to work out your route for yourself. It can be done without a guide but this depends on the experience of the participants - if they are used to glaciers and glaciated terrain then there is no need for a guide.

A helicopter normally operates up the Inylchek Glacier, from Maida Adyr at the end of the Inylchek valley to the basecamp, so you can perhaps arrange a lift back down the valley once you have reached basecamp.

Although this does not answer all your questions I hope it is useful. It is over 10 years since I was there. More up-to-date information about price, length etc. can no doubt be found out from KE Adventure (www.keadventure.com) who organise a commercial trek to the Inylchek Glacier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...