UKC

Swanage Guidebook - Fact or Fiction?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 24 Jul 2013
I've been climbing regularly at Swanage since 2009 and in all this time the new CC guide to the area has been on the CC "in preparation" list and "about to be published".
It seems another summer is set to slip by without the guide hitting the shelves, latest publication date now given is 2013/14. I know Scott Titt (our BMC president) is the main author and he has posted on this subject before saying that he finished his work on the guide some time ago, so just wondering what the epic hold up is down to? Can anyone shed some light?
Having done many of the classics up to my lead grade in the areas documented by Rockfax, I'm keen to explore some of the more esoteric nooks and crannies whilst armed with decent topos that include routes put up in the period since the last guide.
 EddInaBox 24 Jul 2013
In reply to The Ivanator:

> ... Can anyone shed some light?

The Jurassic Coast Yeti ran off with all the preliminary drafts and ate them, the only thing left was a small indigestible section of Boulder Ruckle that Scott recovered from its dung, so they're going to have to start all over again.
OP The Ivanator 24 Jul 2013
In reply to EddInaBox: That's the most plausible explanation that I've heard to date!
You around next week? Would be keen for a Dorset day out if the weather is playing ball.
Ivan
 Mr. Lee 24 Jul 2013

Hi Ivan, I spoke to a very reliable source about the CC Swanage guide at the weekend. Release is expected for 2014, definately not before. I'm not sure of the specific reason though. I think it's simply not finished from what I understood.
 Mr. Lee 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Btw I just noticed that the release dates have been removed from the 'In Preparation' list on the CC website. I'm not sure how this will help CC guidebook sales in the short-term. Some of those guides were not due for release for a long while I remember. Surely there will be more people holding fire from buying the current guide with expectations of a new guide arriving soon?
 mutt 24 Jul 2013
I did a newish route at subluminal a couple of weeks ago - how do I get it into the new guidebook? this might give them the excuse they sorely need. annoying new routers changing the 'comprehensive' guidebook all the time.
 Mr. Lee 24 Jul 2013
In reply to mutt:

Follow the link on the right-hand side:

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/ci-newroutes.html
OP The Ivanator 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> (In reply to Mr. Lee)
>
> Btw I just noticed that the release dates have been removed from the 'In Preparation' list on the CC website.

Yup, I'd noticed this too. I wonder if that decision was taken due to the ever receding Swanage publication date which must be something of an embarrassment for them. The 2013/14 date I mentioned is what it says on this page: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/guidebooks/ci-sw-swanage.html
Strange how the new Swanage guide is pictured in several recent CC guides as if it was already available. I found this quote from Steve Taylor in a UKC article from May 2001:
"I'm currently working on the new Climber's Club Guide to Swanage, and will be making some extremely strong recommendations to avoid routes with loose finishes, such as most of the Cormorant Ledge area."
So the guide has been in the making for well over a decade now, we may soon be talking about its progress in geological eras!

Mr. Lee 25 Jul 2013

Wow, I did not realise the guidebook had been in preparation for this long. This book is a bit of an embarressment for the CC. It's great that the CC guides are put together by volunteers and I think the quality of the guides in recent years has been great. The reality though is that the books still need to be commercially viable and if you have a follow-up guidebook in preparation for thirteen years whilst your rival publisher releases three guides covering the area then you stand to lose your position in the marketplace. Particularly given that the latest RF Dorset has a lot of coverage for your average Swanage punter.
 The Pylon King 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)
>
> The reality though is that the books still need to be commercially viable and if you have a follow-up guidebook in preparation for thirteen years whilst your rival publisher releases three guides covering the area then you stand to lose your position in the marketplace. Particularly given that the latest RF Dorset has a lot of coverage for your average Swanage punter.

Yeah but the difference is that the CC guides are a definitive up to date record with all historical information as apposed to a cherry picking guide just to make a profit.
 Al Evans 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)
>
> Wow, I did not realise the guidebook had been in preparation for this long. This book is a bit of an embarressment for the CC. It's great that the CC guides are put together by volunteers and I think the quality of the guides in recent years has been great. The reality though is that the books still need to be commercially viable and if you have a follow-up guidebook in preparation for thirteen years whilst your rival publisher releases three guides covering the area then you stand to lose your position in the marketplace. Particularly given that the latest RF Dorset has a lot of coverage for your average Swanage punter.

The CC have put out the definitive guide to Portland, so it's not three.
Removed User 25 Jul 2013

The Swanage guide work has been beset by a series of problems over a period, and the CC Publications Committee would apologise to climbers waiting for it for the delays. However, we are fully committed to publishing as soon as possible and it is now very nearly complete.

The listing of planned publication dates for other guides has been temporarily suspended owing to some priority changes and will be reinstated soon. This is unrelated to the Swanage situation.

John Willson (CC PSC Secretary)
OP The Ivanator 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson: Thanks for the reply John, although the problems still remain mysterious. You can certainly count me at the head of the queue when the guide does hit the shelves.
Removed User 26 Jul 2013

Thank you for your loyalty. I hope and believe you will find it worth waiting for.

EddInaBox 26 Jul 2013

> You around next week? Would be keen for a Dorset day out if the weather is playing ball.
> Ivan

Weather looks decidedly soggy for the start of the week, but perhaps Friday if the forecast gets better?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...