UKC

Whats going on in this photo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 24 Jul 2013
 lowersharpnose 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

Is the rope on the right part of the belay?
J1234 24 Jul 2013
In reply to lowersharpnose:
Thats what I wondered but seems odd to see one rope length and if that was the case I would have thought a fig 8 or something would be visible
 The Lemming 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

Maybe its just a rope to pull up kit, like a drill for bolting the route?
 ark05 24 Jul 2013
maybe the gear is a sky hook and the rope is so his second can hold it in place as he moves above
In reply to sjc: It is two strands, probably for the belay. It's not uncommon for the belay to for part of the leader's protection. That's what it looks like to me. nothing strange here.
 climber david 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc: is the rope from the pro for the camera man?
 Skyfall 24 Jul 2013
Whilst that does look like the "3rd rope" is part of the belay set up, that is a single pitch venue. It's on the walk in to Sergeants Crag Slab. It has a collection of v bold slab routes as I recall. So, unless the belay position is over a drop (and if it's on the right of the crag it might be...) it would be a little unusual to tie the belayer on....
 jkarran 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

Could be part of a belay. Could be a hook tied down or a hand placed peg held in place by rope tension.

jk
 stonemaster 24 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran: Agree with you and adamki
 Skyfall 24 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran:

> Could be part of a belay.

As above.
 MaranaF 24 Jul 2013
In reply to climber david:

I agree with David, I think its a belay for the camera man. You can see the thicker rope is leading out away from the rock and then someone was up close enough to take that picture.
 The Lemming 24 Jul 2013
In reply to DemolitionRed:
> (In reply to climber david)
>
> I agree with David, I think its a belay for the camera man.

That would be one brave camera man.
J1234 24 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran: The route description does talk of clipping a peg, presumably in situ, I did wonder if the climber found it to be wobbly so has weighted it to lever it into position.
 Michael Gordon 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:

It's just a high anchor in the belay which the leader has clipped as a runner.
 DaveN 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to sjc)
>
> It's just a high anchor in the belay which the leader has clipped as a runner.

This.
It's not exactly an uncommon thing to do is it? Prevents a potential fall factor of two if you fall from above to below the belay.
 Michael Gordon 24 Jul 2013
In reply to DaveN:

Correct, assuming the gear holds. Better to have a bit of not great gear than no gear IMO.
 petegunn 24 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc: I think there is two ropes, its just tight so one is hidden by the other. I have a similar photo of me on Slab Happy somewhere. The belayer clips to the peg as its a narrow ledge above a drop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...