UKC

Helping women...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 25 Jul 2013
So, there I was, using my drill to make a few holes in a bit of wood, when in came a bloke and doing a double take, said "are you sure that you are alright using that?"

Now, seeing as a drill isn't actually very complicated, and seeing as I can drive a car, which is a lot more complicated and lethal, I wasn't quite sure what point he was trying to make. Still, I smiled politely and nodded, that yes, I could manage.

Anyhoo - later on, we had to saw up some wood, so he proudly got out his jigsaw, at which point I whipped out my HUGE circular saw and chopped everything up at twice the speed.

He hurumphed.... "hmmm, that's a bit over overkill, isn't it?" and looked most put out. I think he was just disappointed that a woman had a bigger tool than he did.
 JM 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm: And your point is......?
 Timmd 25 Jul 2013
In reply to JM: That some men like to feel more capable than women at certain things and feel put out when they find out they're not I'd have thought?
 Toby_W 25 Jul 2013
In reply to JM: A bit of a p*ssing contest and a fair amount of p***s envy going on by both parties if you ask me

Turning it round, there I was making some lovely little cup cakes when this girl walks in and asks if I'm alright, when it came to ice them and I had the Nigella Lawson piping set and swirled my pink icing into the most to die for little waves she went off in a humpf. eh eh?

Toby
 Timmd 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Toby_W:

If tlm planned to use the circular saw all along, she could just be thinking 'So there' at showing him she could do stuff?

()
 Toby_W 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Timmd: I'm just teasing, trying to be funny. My wife is 5'2 and we cycle a lot and the reaction of some blokes when she rides past them towing me is priceless.

Cheers

Toby
 deepsoup 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:
Were you at woodwork club? (What's the first rule of woodwork club? Don't try to rout too deeply in a single pass.)
Or is he just the kind of bloke who carries a jigsaw around just in case he wants to whip it out and impress the girls?
 The Lemming 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

How vary dare you.

We men are sensitive little creatures that, unless our egos are massaged regularly, will wilt away and we will become quivering jellies.

PS

I love playing with my circular saw.

On another note which may please, depending on your point of view and sense of humour, but I will let you decide. A few years ago my day used to have a one-man-factory with a big band-saw and his daughter, my sister, was going through a very nasty divorce with a bstd of a husband.

Anyhow, her ex had a very large collection of technical computer books which he loved most dearly.

My sister took great pleasure in slicing each end every book perpendicularly from spine to the opposite edge. The said books were then returned to the ex in one huge box.

At no point did my sister ask our dad how to use the band-saw. But then she is head of science at her place of work.
 Niall 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Toby_W:
> (In reply to JM) and I had the Nigella Lawson piping set

Hope you were gripping the bag tightly.

Too soon?
 Coel Hellier 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

I didn't know that you did risque posts!
 John_Hat 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

A sad combination of too many women being the "honey-I-broke-a-nail" type who wouldn't be seen dead with a power tool, and a man who has either had a little too much exposure to said women, or is a bit sexist anyway.

And (sorry) a slight element of willy-waving (or equivilent thereof) on the part of the OP.
 MJ 25 Jul 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

a slight element of willy-waving (or equivilent thereof) on the part of the OP.

Flange Flapping?
 paul-1970 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

Some men do have a strange and intransigent attitude toward women who either profess practical skills or enquire of them.

One of my friends is a very practical woman who fixes and fits almost everything in her house. She's also blonde, a natural smiler and attractive too. A while ago I was with her in a plumbers' merchants while she was purchasing a sink unit. She asked one guy working in the merchants a couple of simple advice-type questions about fitting it, but he really didn't want to speak to her about it. I could see his eyes glazing as she asked the question, and then he replied "Just ask your plumber, he'll sort it out for you"! Maybe he didn't actually know the answer, but I rather suspect he didn't feel he should waste his time answering a woman.
 John_Hat 25 Jul 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> a slight element of willy-waving (or equivilent thereof) on the part of the OP.
>
> Flange Flapping?

I couldn't possibly comment....
 John_Hat 25 Jul 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> Some men do have a strange and intransigent attitude toward women who either profess practical skills or enquire of them.
>

I'm sure the ladies on here also have plenty of personal experience (as climbers) of men who feel that women are all week and feeble and are rather surprised when it turns out not to be the case.

My personal favourite was when we were moving house and watching the romoval man's face when Lady Blue (5'8 and very slim) almost offhandedly carried a 6' bookcase into the house.

The trouble is that I've had the misfortune to meet so many of the honey-I-broke-a-nail types one does wonder whether its the fault of the men for being sexist, or a lot of women for being (sorry) a bit pathetic.
 stonemaster 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Niall: Bar-steward! <mops keyboards>
 Toby_W 25 Jul 2013
In reply to stonemaster: Like
 Conf#2 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Niall:

It is always too soon for that comment.
 Conf#2 25 Jul 2013
In reply to MJ:

Ha! Nice.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm: I f*cking wish my missus was a demon DIYer, cos I hate it. It's not that I'm bad at it either, so I can't use the excuse that I'd balls it up.
richyfenn 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to tlm) I f*cking wish my missus was a demon DIYer, cos I hate it. It's not that I'm bad at it either, so I can't use the excuse that I'd balls it up.

Ha! I know your issue, I don't mind DIY but when I'm being given orders I have to inquire what she's going to be doing. If she's making dinner or cake then that's fine Sometimes I can get her to pick up a paint brush, but then I have to deal with her getting stroppy when I suggest she puts on old clothes/overalls to which she refuses, then gets stroppy when she inevitably (always!) gets paint on herself.

Oh I'd love for a lady take out a circular saw and cut some wood for me
 Duncan Bourne 25 Jul 2013
In reply to richyfenn:
at the moment she is chipping the horrible tiles off the fire place to reveal the nice antique tiles underneath.
 JoshOvki 25 Jul 2013
In reply to richyfenn:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
>
> Oh I'd love for a lady take out a circular saw and cut some wood for me

Oh I would rethink that!
richyfenn 25 Jul 2013
In reply to JoshOvki:
> (In reply to richyfenn)
> [...]
>
> Oh I would rethink that!

Timber! I meant, cut timber!
 Billhook 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

My slightly younger than me, sister, is far, far more skilled at carpentry than most people. She's a trained cabinet maker and designer. She runs The Goodlife Centre in London. Going round car boot sales, she can spot a good make of chisel,, plane or power tool from 50yds and drive a hard bargain too.
 aln 25 Jul 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> a slight element of willy-waving (or equivilent thereof) on the part of the OP.
>
> Flange Flapping?

Aw c'mon! Did you have to go that far?
 birdie num num 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:
When Mrs Num Num starts doing jobs, I normally sneak off.
 aln 25 Jul 2013
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to tlm)
> When Mrs Num Num starts doing jobs, I normally sneak off.

Are we calling it sneaking off these days?

MJ 25 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:

Flange Flapping?

Aw c'mon! Did you have to go that far?

The only problem with trying to find a less crude equivalent, is that most 'Womb Bits' tend to sound bad even if you use the correct medical term. The best I can come up with so far is: -

Pudenda Presenting.

Think I prefer 'Flange Flapping' myself...
ice.solo 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

i know the feeling.

when i met the girll who i eventually married, thered been a minor accident (dislocated shoulder, a bit of blood) and i stepped in all commando to fix it 'outta the way ladies, ill take care of this' type stuff. last thing we needed was some girl fainting from the blood or faffing about hen pecking.

that she flicked me aside should have been enough, but my ego is too big for that. wasnt until she told me she is an ER team leader that i shrunk back to normal...

many has been the time when weve been out and shes responded to a sudden event whilst i stood by doing litle more crowd control. ive seen her stand down ambulance crews who made the mistake i did.
 aln 25 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo: if you ever split up, and I sincerely hope you don't, will you marry me?
ice.solo 25 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:

Me? Thats flattering, but im the useless one. Its the wife you want.
 aln 25 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> Its the wife you want.

I'm sure she's lovely and that but it's you I have a man-crush on.
ice.solo 26 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:

fair enough, but be aware: the best bits were picked out years ago.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> bits were picked out years ago.

That's enough to make a man wince!

ice.solo 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> That's enough to make a man wince!

which is not far from what happened as it were
 aln 26 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo: ouch. My missus has a bit of a fag-hag crush on my big gay pal. Says he seems like a good guy and has a "kind" face. Which is as good a reason as any.
 Alyson 26 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to ice.solo) if you ever split up, and I sincerely hope you don't, will you marry me?

This might be my favourite post of all time!
Sarah G 26 Jul 2013
I want a circular saw. Fed up with the bow saw.

Sx
 Conf#2 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Sarah G:

I totally read that as 'bone saw' and was a little perturbed.

Unless you are a surgeon.

In which case a bone saw is probs better than a circular.
 aln 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
> This might be my favourite post of all time!

Thanks. I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be funny. He really sounds wonderful.
 Conf#2 26 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:

Your earnest is what makes it so good.
 The Lemming 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Sarah G:
> I want a circular saw. Fed up with the bow saw.
>
> Sx

I love my bow-saw. I used it exclusively to build my arbour even when it bounced and nearly ripped the end of my thumb off.
 aln 26 Jul 2013
In reply to confusicating:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> Your earnest is what makes it so good.

I love him. It's a pure and beautiful thing.
 Alyson 26 Jul 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to confusicating)
> [...]
>
> I love him. It's a pure and beautiful thing.

I totally get that, it's why I loved your post! And I don't blame you - he's my favourite left-over bear-snack too.
 aln 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
> left-over bear-snack

I don't know what that means.
 Alyson 26 Jul 2013
In reply to aln: It's quite literal. He was attacked by a bear.
 RockAngel 26 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm: i am licensed to use a chainsaw & fell trees. Small trees mind but its still fun to watch peoples' faces when i ask my friend to borrow the saw in the pub
 Timmd 26 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
> (In reply to tlm) i am licensed to use a chainsaw & fell trees. Small trees mind but its still fun to watch peoples' faces when i ask my friend to borrow the saw in the pub

I bet it is. My work friend is 5 feet 2 inches and has done the medium trees course. I've just done the small trees course.

I'm quite jealous of her, but I've no actual reason to go onto medium trees other than them being bigger and more impressive when they fall.
 Timmd 26 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

The weird thing is, soon after doing my course I saw some footage of somebody in Hull attacking people with a chainsaw, and the first thing I thought was how wrong he was not to be wearing PPE. ()
 Gene00 27 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:
> and seeing as I can drive a car

I suppose that is a matter of opinion
 aln 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to aln) It's quite literal. He was attacked by a bear.

Really? I don't use this often, but, OMG. He survived a bear attack. Man-crush x 100
ice.solo 27 Jul 2013
In reply to aln & Alyson:

you people are very flattering, but really, beyond the tales people will tell you im pretty uncool.
i have some camp fire stories and dubious opinions, but a good looking gay guy is a hard standard to live up to.
 RockAngel 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Timmd: im only the same height as your friend and was the only woman on the course. The guys took the mickey, not thinking i'd be any good. At the end of the week, they all had bad backs & i had a broken nail.
Not wearing ppe is bad!
 blondel 27 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

> ... a good looking gay guy is a hard standard to live up to.

I'd second that. And a good-looking gay guy who takes you climbing and paddling, and rescues you from the hills when you can't walk another yard but there's no bus for another week, and checks out awesome-looking-houses-for-sale for you while you're abroad, is completely unbeatable. And there's none of the crap hostility you get from so many straight guys, who seem to think you're going to bite their balls off if they soften up any.

Should add, though, that good-looking is an optional extra: handsome is as handsome does, as my grandfather used to say. Also that I'm the first to applaud any act of heroism, and that the only place for impeccably manicured nails is inside a pair of dainty walking boots.
loopyone 27 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm: Only a woman would feel the need to post this.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

It's not so much a post about men not helping woman but more about some men questioning a woman's ability to do something. If it was a genuine offer of help when someone is struggling then I'm sure it wouldn't have been posted about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...