UKC

NEWS: Multiple 8b+ Redpoints for Ethan Walker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Jul 2013
Ethan Walker focussed on Mecca, 8b+, 4 kbEthan Walker has been hitting the Peak Limestone hard in this recent good weather, and has come away with quick ascents of a lot of routes within the '8th' grade, from classics such as Mecca, 8b+, and Waddage, 8b, through to early repeats of routes such as Karma Killer, 8b, and Techno Prisoners, 8b+...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68243
 UKB Shark 29 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

No kneepad for Mecca?

Is that allowed?
 Matt Fry 29 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations mate! Nice that all your effort and awesome results have been recognised like this - keep going. Do you have your eye on any 8cs?
 tom.ireson 30 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: All great efforts Ethan! great to see you getting some recognition for them too, well deserved with a ticklist like this!

Keep it up geezer, maybe see you in El Chorro this winter......
 Dave-Westlake 30 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Would someone mind explaining what a "rig" is? Thanks
 Morgan Woods 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Dave-Westlake: i read it as the way the re-bolting has been done, now a lot of people are doing the route ie getting on the route not the rig.
 AJM 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Dave-Westlake:

I think Dave that its just what the cool kids today use instead of "route"

robin mueller 31 Jul 2013
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to Dave-Westlake)
>
> I think Dave that its just what the cool kids today use instead of "route"
>
>

If by cool kids you mean American kids, then yes. It's an Americanism.
 AJM 31 Jul 2013
In reply to robin mueller:

Yes, I know.
 aphex 31 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:
is this news? it's a good effort but not really high national standard anymore
 biscuit 31 Jul 2013
In reply to aphex:

One on their own probably isn't but at a quick count i make it 9 routes of 8a+ - 8b+ in a month or so, the timescales aren't quite clear.

Pretty good going and i don't think there are many operating at that level in the UK at the moment.
 AJM 31 Jul 2013
In reply to aphex:

Ethan is sponsored though so has more of an incentive to highlight these things than others might do.
 UKB Shark 31 Jul 2013
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Would someone mind explaining what a "rig" is? Thanks

He is referring to the way Kris thoughtfully re-equipped (re-rigged) the route for clipping and/or stripping.

I think.
 Dave-Westlake 01 Aug 2013
In reply to robin mueller:

Oh, I see. Is he American? "Ethan" sounds like an American name to me, but maybe that's just because I associate it with Pringle.

Can a trad route be a "rig" or is trad climbing not cool enough?!
 Dave-Westlake 01 Aug 2013
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to aphex)
>
> Ethan is sponsored though so has more of an incentive to highlight these things than others might do.

You know you've hit the big time when your sponsorship portfolo features more than one type of energy bar!
 AJM 01 Aug 2013

He isn't, no.

As for trad, I've no idea!

madasten 02 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort mate!! It's great to see you proving what you are really capable of on British rock when a bit of rare decent weather comes along.

This is focussed totally on sport but I know Ethan is a very well-rounded rock climber with E8 trad and V12 boulders to his name - not bad for someone who was trying to qualify for the British JUNIOR team only a year ago!

Not to mention being one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I hope to see your name crop up more and more!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...