UKC

Birthday present ideas for 10 year old boy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 29 Jul 2013
As above, for our godson - all ideas welcome...he's quite musical, otherwise a pretty normal 10 year old as far as I can figure out! Budget anywhere £10-30ish?

Thanks
In reply to Nic:

A day out at one of those frightful treetop places? Downside is an adult generally has to take them......

jcm
Rigid Raider 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:

Anything IT or computer related. iTunes voucher?
 Tall Clare 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:

A harmonica? His parents might not thank you, mind...
OP Nic 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

...hmm, yes, or maybe a drum kit?! I like the idea of an iTunes voucher
 Tall Clare 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:

What about a little computer to do some programming on: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/75...
 RockAngel 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic: cant generally go wrong with lego! A taster lesson for a musical intrument?
 kathrync 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Nic)
>
> What about a little computer to do some programming on: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/75...

Ha ha, I was about to suggest that - I take it that went down well with H (assuming I got his initial correct) then?
Bob kate bob 29 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
Yep, lego is excellent especially at 10 they are getting into technic lego.

Excellent present and not too expensive http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lego-Crazy-Action-Contraptions-Klutz/dp/1591747694
 Tall Clare 29 Jul 2013
In reply to kathrync:

It did indeed - he's been using the Scratch programme and a book to create his own computer games.
 xplorer 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:

Have a look at Raspberry PI
 kathrync 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
> It did indeed - he's been using the Scratch programme and a book to create his own computer games.

Brilliant
In reply to Nic: Penknife?
combined with SAS survival handbook, although then lookout for traps created in the garden.

Matt Schwarz 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Southampton Tom: I was going to suggest penknife, still got, and regularly use the one I got at that age (now 27)!
 butteredfrog 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:
> As above, for our godson - all ideas welcome...he's quite musical

Ukelele? They are pretty fast to pick up.
 girlymonkey 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Matt Schwarz:
> (In reply to Southampton Tom) I was going to suggest penknife, still got, and regularly use the one I got at that age (now 27)!

+1 for this! I got my first knife around this age, and spent hours whittling bits of wood. My mum also got me a bag of leather off-cuts from a local shoe maker and I made all sorts of things out of the leather using that knife too.
OP Nic 30 Jul 2013
In reply to all:

thanks - some good ideas here.
 The Lemming 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:

I'd say penknife as well.
 Ramblin dave 30 Jul 2013
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> ...hmm, yes, or maybe a drum kit?!

“If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum.”

The Science Museum shop is generally good for interesting and unusual stuff for kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...