UKC

Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 30 Jul 2013
What is the best time of year to go to Skye for climbing, assuming that I want neither snow nor midges? I appreciate that those two wishes may not be entirely compatible! No snow and not too many midges, let's say.
 Tom Last 30 Jul 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:

April/May, although it does of course depend.
 buzby 30 Jul 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie: as above, end of april into may should at least give you a fighting chance of not being eaten alive but the weather is a whole different matter.
its been kind of my boogey island for trips away and the weather has always been against me,now i just go for short notice trips where i can get a forecast a few days before hand.
OP BusyLizzie 31 Jul 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie: Thank you both!
L
 CharlieMack 31 Jul 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Any idea what late August will be like? Planning on heading up in a few weeks.
 JIMBO 31 Jul 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie: I've been in May and July and midges were not a problem up on the hills however in the valleys it was quite different...
 buzby 01 Aug 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: midges will still be about, as for the weather, anything from blistering sunshine to torrential rain, first two trips i did to skye i never got to see the cullin from the road due to it be clouded in for days on end.
check the forecast and be flexible, good luck.
estivoautumnal 01 Aug 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
> (In reply to BusyLizzie)
>
> Any idea what late August will be like? Planning on heading up in a few weeks.

No. No one does.

Jamie B 01 Aug 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Others may disagree, but I've never found midges to be a problem on the high ground in dry conditions. Camping however...

Snow lingered into May this year, but that was exceptional. Generally it won't impact from May through till October.

Don't forget the sea-cliffs at Neist and Elgol; they give you often sunnier options than the Cuillins.
 mmmhumous 02 Aug 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:
We were there last week of May and got in a winter route on a grade I gully, hailed on and bitten by the wee beasties by the Fairy pools. We also had glorious sunshine for most of the week which was very nice.
estivoautumnal 08 Aug 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:

As a serious answer the midges in Skye have been horrible this summer. I'm looking out of my window at 30 or so swallows having a field day over the water but alas it makes no difference to the midge numbers in the garden. I'm having to wear long sleeves in the evening when out with the dog as even when walking I'm getting bitten.

Sept or May are best midge free months. Longer days in May, no snow in Sept.
 Nathan Adam 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Its always sunny at Elgol !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...