UKC

Anyone work as a National Standard Cycle Instructor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Batcloud 31 Jul 2013
Due to health issues I'm looking at training to become a National Standard Cycle Instructor (Bikeability - coaching school kids) as a first step into working in cycling.

Anyone got experience of doing this? Is there enough work available?
I realise it's only term time but I'd look at other quals in the future as well.

Any advice appreciated.
 annieman 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Batcloud: I'm an NSI. I enjoy being out, coaching children on the correct way to cycle on the road network. I know how much the children enjoy being on their bikes and being outside of the classroom.

Over the years I've worked for independant companies and local councils. In 2008 there was a lot of work and money about, sustainable. Now, whilst the Government is still providing councils with the same money it doesn't filter it way down to the NSI.

A lot will depend on who you find work with. With local councils it is often a casual appointments. These are great for the retired or Mums who only need to work school hours.

Sadly, I've recently completed my last session as I don't find it being sustainable, for me. It is great fun and I'll miss it.

Robin.
OP Batcloud 01 Aug 2013
In reply to annieman:

Many thanks, a different view to what I'm hearing from the course providers!

Do you think it's realistic to expect 15 to 20 hours a week on average (during term time). I'm told that in my area (Northwest) there is a lot of funding around currently? Cheers.
 tim000 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Batcloud: im a bikeability instructor . when it`s busy i get 5 days a week(march,april,june,july,sept,oct) when it quiet over winter i get 2/3 days and next to nothing in dec and early jan.
OP Batcloud 01 Aug 2013
In reply to tim000:

Thanks for the info, I guess once you are well established there's a reasonable amount of work around.
There seem to be quite a few instructor training courses running so the concern is that the market is or will be saturated. It could of course be because there is a demand for Instructors?

The jury is still out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...