UKC

Equipment Hire - Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 01 Aug 2013
Right folks, there may be a possibility that a mate needs to hire some mountain equipment, probably ice axe and crampons. Any recommendations on decent shops that do this? Have found a few places online offering a rental service but the advertised prices are such that it is probably better value to actually buy the gear!
 Tony the Blade 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

What are you after, I have some kit she/he can borrow - just a few £/€'s in an MRT would be grand.

I work in London, but am out of the country for the next couple of weeks.
 Alex Buisse 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Snell has the best selection and quite decent prices. They won't rip you off.
OP Cú Chullain 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Cheers mate, unfortunately we are heading off on the 7am ferry tomorrow morning so have probably left it a bit late in terms of sorting things out at this end!

Have actually just been on the Decathalon website, they have a shop in Calais that sells basic ice axes for about 40 euro, might just head there instead!

Where in town are you working these days?
 Tony the Blade 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I'm in Battersea - commute to/from Christchurch.

Shame about that, especially as you're getting a ferry, weight wouldn't have been an issue. Hey-ho... ppppppp!

Have fun and be safe.
OP Cú Chullain 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Cheers

Just checked the snell sports hire rates.

5 day hire for ice axe and crampons, 35 and 45 euros respectfully, buying both items in Decathalon is 100 euros, looks like I shall be stopping off in Calais...........I fecking love Decathalon! Dangerous place to be if you are not focused on what you need to buy!

trollman 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Cú Chullain: forgot the name of shop, but its just up the road
from the midi lift, sells cheap gear, they hire all equipment needed for the mountains,
Someone will know the name of the shop
Have fun
trollman 01 Aug 2013
In reply to trollman: I think it's called technic or somthing like that
 stewieatb 02 Aug 2013
In reply to trollman:

You're thinking of Technique Extreme. Never hired anything but had a few little bits of gear off them. All generally okay.
 Alex Buisse 02 Aug 2013
In reply to stewieatb: as long as you don't mind them falling apart a week after you bought them, yes.
 Tony the Blade 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Alex Buisse:
> (In reply to stewieatb) as long as you don't mind them falling apart a week after you bought them, yes.

+1 The Primark of outdoor shops
trollman 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: only thing I buy from that shop I are axe spike protecter bungs,
Then just try on all the crazy hats for fun,
but they do hire out all gear if you need it.
T

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...