UKC

Confined space training / fitness options for shift workers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 02 Aug 2013
I've just started a new job and it involves shift work:

Day 1: 8.00AM - 11.00PM
Sleep-in (on call)
Day 2: 8.00AM - 11.00PM

Unless I get up mega early on day 1 to go for a run or something or have a very late one, maybe a fingerboard session, on day 2 when I get home I'm looking at 2 days with no exercise.

Getting up really early or going to bed really late are options I'd prefer to avoid so I think the only window of opportunity is the start of the sleep-in period on day 1.

I'm limited to a smallish room and have no training facilities. Ultimately I might be able to install a fingerboard but for now I'd like a more immediate solution. The only ideas I can come up with are:

- press-ups
- sit-ups

This makes for a fairly dull routine and I'm not sure how useful it would be. I don't necessarily have any fitness / strength targets, I just want to do something to either raise heart rate or maintain stamina / power. I can't do any jumping around due to potential noise issues.

If anyone has any more suggestions for room based exercise or training I'd be grateful if you could share them on here.

Thanks.
 biscuit 02 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs:

DVD player and one of those new style high intensity workout DVD systems. FOrget the name of the one i tried but it bloody killed me.
 JayPee630 02 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs:

How big's the room?

Loads and loads of options out there, both with no or very limited equipment. One that I've done is the 'Prisonyard workout'.

Start one side of the room, do 1 burpee. Walk to the other side of the room, do 2 burpess. Walk back and do 3 burpees. Repeat until you get to 20. hard, works all your body.
ice.solo 02 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs:

something like a single heavy kettle bell would allow for squats, presses etc, and add weight to sit ups, burpees, turkish get ups.

if a large chunk of iron is out of the question, then a sack full of gravel will work.
 dr_botnik 03 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs: yoga: do some sun salutations, that'll improve core/shoulders and flexibility, the movements will be slow and controlled so hopefully not disturb your clients.
In reply to ksjs:

Man, there is so much you can do its ridiculous. I used to do similar shifts years ago as a support worker in a residential home and i used to exercise at night. I'd pick 5 exercises and do variations on Chin ups (on door frame), Pressups (with raised legs on the bed), Plank, Squats, Lunges. I'd do 5 rounds of 30secs (max effort) on each exercise with 30 sec rest. The only thing i found was that exercising so late sometimes i wouldnt be able to sleep.
 Thrudge 04 Aug 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:
> (In reply to ksjs) yoga: do some sun salutations, that'll improve core/shoulders and flexibility, the movements will be slow and controlled so hopefully not disturb your clients.

Seconded. Stuff like yoga and pilates will get you flexible and strong, and doing the exercises slow is harder than doing them fast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...