UKC

What's the best way to access mobile internet in France?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eann 02 Aug 2013
Hi All,

I'm heading to France for a month would like mobile access to the internet. In Italy, I've previously used a pre-loaded mobile data sim purchased for 20 euros, which worked well. However, I'm struggling to find a similar deal for France. Best option i've found so far is a mobile sim which costs £6.99 for 30 days but £1.99 per MB of data, which could prove costly!

Any recommendations of other options would be much appreciated.

Cheers
 balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

EE sent me a text the other day for an offer with my UK phone that allows up to 20mb per day for £2 per day
 drolex 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann: I think most of the major operators have preloaded sims for 20€/300Mb

Maybe this? https://www.b-and-you.fr/carte-prepayee
 drolex 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex: bear in mind that for an equivalent service, mobile costs are significantly more expensive in France than in the UK. It was 50% more expensive 2 or 3 years ago, now it is going better, but sill not a lot of competition
OP Eann 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex: looks great, though no delivery to the UK, i'll have to see if I can get hold of one whilst i'm out there. Thanks
 goose299 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

Depending on how often you want to access the internet, fee wifi at Macdonalds (and other such places) could be an option
OP Eann 02 Aug 2013
In reply to drolex:
> (In reply to Eann) I think most of the major operators have preloaded sims for 20€/300Mb
>
> Maybe this? https://www.b-and-you.fr/carte-prepayee

It is amazing value. I'll try and pick this up or something similar from a local shop when i'm out there.

Mr Lopez 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Eann:

If i were you i'd check the t&c's carefully before getting any French SIM.

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but last time i got one i was not aware that from the day you activate the SIM you got x number of days to send the provider a copy of your passport and proof of address (french) otherwise it'll get de-activated.

It may have changed now though.
 Carolyn 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez:

No, that was still be the case last week

It was 15 days, although was able to register by emailing them the info plus a photo of passport, so not too contorted.

I used these guys - deals seem to have changed a bit in the last month or two as they've expanded beyond France, but might be something there? They were easy to deal with - a couple of hitches (email with SIM PIN didn't arrive automatically, iPad set itself up with wrong APN settings - there's now a note about needing to write them down) but both were fixed quickly with an email to their customer service.
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/en/data-bundles.html
 Carolyn 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Oops, meant to say that it seemed fine to provide a UK address, rather than a French address.
OP Eann 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> (In reply to Eann)
> i was not aware that from the day you activate the SIM you got x number of days to send the provider a copy of your passport and proof of address (french) otherwise it'll get de-activated.
>
> It may have changed now though.

What a faff. Thanks for the advance notice!
OP Eann 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Great! Thanks for the advice regarding registration too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...