UKC

Government to make trespass a crime again?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss Weasel 02 Aug 2013
Worrying article here on the BMC website, I hope it isn't true:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/making-trespass-a-crime-again
OP Choss Weasel 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Choss Weasel: I've just noticed the article is from April, anyone know any more about this?
 timjones 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Choss Weasel:
> (In reply to Choss Weasel) I've just noticed the article is from April, anyone know any more about this?

Have you read the proposed bill?
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to Choss Weasel)
> [...]
>
> Have you read the proposed bill?

I was going to but it's 181 pages long!
 timjones 02 Aug 2013
> (In reply to timjones)
> [...]
>
>
> I was going to but it's 181 pages long!

Try the start of chapter 2
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to Choss Weasel)
> [...]
>
> Try the start of chapter 2

You mean the bit labelled "Part 2" which says the court must be satisfied that the offender has caused harassment alarm or distress?
 Gene00 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Choss Weasel: Get off moy laaaand
 Al Evans 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Choss Weasel: Might be quite exciting to have a reason to mass trespass again.
 Al Evans 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Has to easier to organise in these days of internet communication etc.
 Banned User 77 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Is this for travellers? Doesn't look like its for walkers?

Also I think its just making it clearer what rules to use.. as it is I'm sure they could use some law for harrassing or disturbing anyway..
OP Choss Weasel 03 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Is this for travellers? Doesn't look like its for walkers?
>
> Also I think its just making it clearer what rules to use.. as it is I'm sure they could use some law for harrassing or disturbing anyway..

I'm confused by the whole thing. The Open Spaces Society lady obviously thinks there is a risk of it affecting countryside access.
 d_b 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Conspiracy charges for you sonny! You're nicked!
 Neil Williams 07 Aug 2013

It reads more to me as if they intend to use it to e.g. ban people who repeatedly vandalise public areas from being on them. In that context doesn't sound too bad. Perhaps a protection would be that a court order would need to be applied to the individual(s) concerned first?

As for travellers, I would be pleased to see anything that makes it less difficult to remove and prosecute them. If they came and went without leaving litter and causing damage I wouldn't mind, but this is invariably not the case.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...