UKC

Online Banking - We Have a Winner!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 04 Aug 2013
Barclays - it has to be the most clumsy, awkward, inadequate cynically cost saving, pathetic excuse for an online banking service ever. Utterly dire. You can't even look at statements outside the current period! What do they do with their data - carve it on to rocks?
 Morgan Woods 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

i think UK bank are pretty crap online generally. I have iphone banking here in Oz, but for my HSBC account i need a stupid secure key thingy. Lack of statements downloadable into excel is another point of difference. Surely it can't be that hard!
 Alan M 04 Aug 2013

I have a Barclays account and its pretty bad for online banking.

Though for me the worst is Co-Op online personal banking.....It doesn't even show your balance in real time!!

Santander is pretty good.
 Muel 04 Aug 2013

I have HSBC which is fine, apart from the bloody calculator they make you use to log on, and Natwest, which is great in most ways.
 climbingpixie 04 Aug 2013

Natwest are excellent. Don't need my little pin machine to log on or do any of my standard online banking, just to set up a new payee. Can access 2 years of statements and download them. Oh, and I can do most of my online banking now through my smartphone.
 kathrync 04 Aug 2013
In reply to climbingpixie:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward)
>
> Natwest are excellent. Don't need my little pin machine to log on or do any of my standard online banking, just to set up a new payee. Can access 2 years of statements and download them. Oh, and I can do most of my online banking now through my smartphone.

+1 I would have moved banks long ago if their online system weren't so good because I live in Scotland and there aren't a huge number of Natwest branches up here!

I also have an account with First Direct. That is quite new so I might yet fall out with it, but it seems pretty good so far.
 digby 04 Aug 2013
In reply to kathrync:

> +1 I would have moved banks long ago if their online system weren't so good because I live in Scotland and there aren't a huge number of Natwest branches up here!

Royal Bank of Scotland online banking is pretty good!
 imkevinmc 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Well I viewed and printed off 3 months worth of Barclays bank statements yesterday. Have you selected the online option for statements?
 Glyno 04 Aug 2013
In reply to climbingpixie:
>
> Natwest are excellent. Don't need my little pin machine to log on or do any of my standard online banking, just to set up a new payee. Can access 2 years of statements and download them. Oh, and I can do most of my online banking now through my smartphone.

another vote for Natwest.
 thebrookster 04 Aug 2013
In reply to digby:

Royal Bank of Scotland and Natwest are the same bank, and as far as I am aware use pretty much the same systems!!

I concur, RBS are pretty good, can check balances and send money to existing payees through my smartphone, most other things through the online banking.
 alexcollins123 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Literally nothing wrong with Barclays. Statements are always bang up to date, just use the iphone app for logging in instead of the stupid card machine, and the iphone app itself is excellent - the best app I have seen for mobile banking out of all the main ones.
 TobyA 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Believe me, Barclays is a paragon of clarity and simplicity compared to the utter shite that is Danske Bank. Danske kindly offers the option of everything being in English, but they manage to use words in an order that somehow removes any sense or clarity from them. I get credit card bills where it's really not clear how much I actually owe them which one would imagine is the main purpose of a bill. Using Barclays and Barclaycard is just a joy in comparison.
 kathrync 04 Aug 2013
In reply to digby:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
> [...]
>
> Royal Bank of Scotland online banking is pretty good!

It's probably similar to Natwest given that they are sister companies

kathrync 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Alan M:
>

> Though for me the worst is Co-Op online personal banking.....It doesn't even show your balance in real time!!
>

I would +1 this as well. I have a career development loan with the Coop at the moment and although I don't use their online system, I have never seen such an opaque way of laying out statements. It really isn't clear if my balance is debit or credit!
 Mikkel 04 Aug 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I used to have Danske Bank, and doesn't sound like they have improved their online bit since then (9 years ago)
 TobyA 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Mikkel: Their website is obsessed with using java, whilst my computer always tells me this is a security risk? Seems odd for a bank to be basing its online service on script with known security issues for someone who doesn't know anything about programming. Perhaps it's fine, but its not very reassuring!
 mbh 04 Aug 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> I get credit card bills where it's really not clear how much I actually owe them which one would imagine is the main purpose of a bill.

edf gas and electricity bills are like that. I am not clear at the end who owes who money. You'd think they could sort that by saying "You owe us £57" or "We have £45 of your money", wouldn't you?
 birdie num num 04 Aug 2013
I do a bit of online er..banking
 TobyA 04 Aug 2013
In reply to mbh:
> You'd think they could sort that by saying "You owe us £57" or "We have £45 of your money", wouldn't you?

!! Yes - exactly like that !! I feel your pain.
 Steve John B 04 Aug 2013
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to Alan M)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> I would +1 this as well. I have a career development loan with the Coop at the moment and although I don't use their online system, I have never seen such an opaque way of laying out statements. It really isn't clear if my balance is debit or credit!

Weird, I quite like the Co-op's online banking.
 JMarkW 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:
>
> Lack of statements downloadable into excel is another point of difference. Surely it can't be that hard!

I can export my HSBC statements to .csv.

cheers
mark
 Bimble 04 Aug 2013

I use Natwest for personal & business banking, and find them to be excellent online for my purposes.
 Neil Williams 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Alan M:

In what way doesn't the Co-op site show your balance in real time, to the extent that the transactions have actually occurred?

Neil
 Alan M 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Alan M)
>
> In what way doesn't the Co-op site show your balance in real time, to the extent that the transactions have actually occurred?
>
> Neil

In that my Santander account shows both a Current Balance and Available Balance. The available balance adjusts instantly when a transaction takes place even though it has not registered on the statement etc. The current balance adjusts at the end of banking day where as the available balance is in real time.

My Co-Op online account only shows a current balance i.e my account says I have x amount in it when I know I have less as I paid for something on my card today. The balance does not adjust instantly like the Santander system. If I want an available balance I need to go to a cash machine.
In reply to Alan M:

Ah, right. That's not a precise figure as it's based on authorisations which may not be debited. So it could be argued they sre sensible in not providing it.

The Co-op's system generally[1] only reconciles and debits transactions at the end of the day. That's not just the online thing, it's how the (rather old)[2] bank systems work. You just see it in the online system because that shows what's actually going on, if you see what I mean.

[1] There are a few exceptions e.g. instant BACS transfers.

[2] They started a project to replace them, then the Project Verde nonsense started (having already IMO been wrong to take over the Britannia), then they just about imploded. Mismanagement of the highest order...it'll be a while before they recover to the small but reliable and high-quality bank they were in the early 2000s. Shame.

Neil

(Example: If you use one of those self service petrol pumps, an authorisation will be done for something like £100, but then only the fuel you take will be charged - so your "available balance" will likely be wrong until it does debit)

Neil
 Philip 04 Aug 2013
First Direct are great. You can pay in at HSBC and for everything else they have great phone support - UK based and no answering system, straight through to a human who speaks English. The online banking is also very good.
 icnoble 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Muel: Yes, HSBC is fine for online banking. I think the little calculator thingy is a good idea.
In reply to icnoble:

I think they're an absolute pain, though I think the HSBC ones are smaller than the ones most other banks used? RSA SecureID keyring tags would have been far more convenient, easier to carry around.

Neil
 Alan M 04 Aug 2013

I suppose there is logic in them not providing it like you describe. However, if I'm honest I prefer the Santander system of showing Current and Available balance as it helps with not going in to the over draft etc. I have fell foul of the Co-Op system once before.

As an example of todays transactions(not actual Account balance figures but real transactions)

My Santander account 'Current' balance at the start of today and right now reads £100. I purchased £20 petrol this afternoon and purchased something online for £15. The Available balance now reads £65.

My Co-OP balance read £100 at the start of today, I spent £60 on it in the supermarket and my online balance still reads £100. I can only get the available balance of £40 if I go to the cash point. The CoOp online balance system does not take in to account pending transactions which is pretty poor and out dated.

For me I definitely prefer the more up to date Santander system.
 LastBoyScout 04 Aug 2013

Actually, I thought Barclays was pretty good, if you can live with the damned password generator!

Halifax online banking is pretty hopeless - no real time balance on the credit card, to name just one of it's faults.
KevinD 04 Aug 2013
> (In reply to icnoble)
>
> I think they're an absolute pain, though I think the HSBC ones are smaller than the ones most other banks used?

it is interesting to see how much people dislike them and consider them a negative. Personally i would like Lloyds to offer them (although the security isnt that bad eg automated calls to approve new payees).
Then again security/usability tend to be opposing choices.

I do all my UK banking online via Lloyds, it's good, not great, adequate.

Here in Aus I bank with the Commonwealth bank, far superior online and desk service.

I did bank with Citibank, but they wanted me to have a mobile phone to get SMS in order to log on, I neither have nor want a mobile phone, so I dumped them.
 John_Hat 05 Aug 2013

Various banks do various bits well, however the only one which to me has been consistently good in every department are First Direct.

Online banking is fine and easy to use. The phone banking is streets ahead of every other bank I have ever used.
 armus 05 Aug 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:
>
> Actually, I thought Barclays was pretty good, if you can live with the damned password generator!
>
> What password generator is that? I just put my debit card into the reader and enter my pin number, the last four digits of the card's number and the two numbers generated by the reader. No need for a password once you are registered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...