UKC

Outdoor Training Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rustaldo 05 Aug 2013
Hi,

I'm looking at putting up a training wall at my home, however due to a lack of space it's probably going to have to be outdoors.

What implications does this have for the T-Nuts?

Has anyone got an outdoor wall of their own and what (if any) are the problems/issues with having one?

I've seen outdoor walls before but never paid that much attention to the state of the holds/wall in general.

Is this just a bad idea from the get go?

I was hoping I'd be able to leave it up semi-permanently once its built and only take it down in the depths of winter when I'd be crazy to go outside.

Before anyone jumps up and says that winter training is the whole point of a home based training wall, it's down to a simple choice of: outdoor wall or no wall!

Thanks for any advice,

Matt
In reply to rustaldo: avoid zinc plated t-nuts and bolts - worth getting stainless. Customholds are reasonably priced as is climbukshop.

TonyB 05 Aug 2013
 KingStapo 05 Aug 2013
In reply to rustaldo:

Mine is currently indoors but will be moving outdoors when we move to the new house as i don;t have a big enough garage for it.

I'm planning on investing in a lot of tarp and essentially building a little shelter for it. Tempted to get a bunch of that foam filler spray and spray it all over the important nails and bolts on the back that are holding it together, not seen that done before, but it feels like it would be useful.
 browndog33 05 Aug 2013
In reply to TonyB: Thanks for the heads up Tony, I'm glad you are still happy with the wall nearly half a year on.
Mark.
 Kieran_John 06 Aug 2013
In reply to TonyB:

Did you need any kind of planning permission for this? I built mine in the garage purely because the neighbours are the kind to kick up a fuss if anything over the height of a fence is put up, but I'd prefer to have a larger wall outside.
 TonyB 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Kieran_John:

I think this depends on the council. Ours allows temporary climbing frames within certain guidelines. I asked the neighbours before building it and tried to locate it in the place where it was the least visible from their garden (i.e. behind some trees). I wouldn't have done it if the neighbours hadn't agreed.
OP rustaldo 06 Aug 2013
In reply to rustaldo: Cheers for all the advice so far, I'll be sure to get some pics up when its done!

whiteexplorer 07 Aug 2013
Hi
I recently built a climbing wall in my garden ,there are a number of factors to take in account regarding its size (height mainly),and its distance from neighbouring boundaries,info is easily available online from your local planing department,I luckily got the go ahead from my neighbour as i was putting it in place of two massive Leylandi trees that were shading her garden.Its 3 meters wide ,2 meters deep and 3 meters high with inclined walls and an overhang in the roof,the whole structure is clad with timber and roofed with corrugated bitumen sheets so can be used all year round.The Tnuts i used were zinc plated ones which show no signs of corrosion so far ,which is good as i live only a few yards from a beach in Newquay ,where its not uncommon to find your car and windows etc covered with salt spray.If you want any more information get in touch,bast wishes Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...