UKC

Recommendations for a two day circular walk in Lakes/Dales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 05 Aug 2013
Hello all,

Looking for recommendations for a two day circular walk in the Lake District or Yorkshire dales.

My criteria:
- decent car parking at one end
- some sort of reasonable accommodation at the other side of the 'circle' for the night (e.g. youth hostel, B&B etc)
- no more than 15 miles per day, please!
- It doesn't need to scale all the great peaks of the Lake District, thanks, though I'm not averse to some hills.

Will get perusing some maps, but just thought I'd ask the UKC/UKH collective for some ideas.

Oh, and it'd be in September.

Many thanks in advance.
 Jon Stewart 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Here's an idea.

Eskdale and the Duddon Valley are two of the quietest and most beautiful valleys in the Lakes. You could park at Coniston (Walner Scar), and walk to the YH in Eskdale and back. Day one you could go via the Duddon Valley and maybe Harter Fell, the other day slightly more energetically over Crinkle Crags, crossing over Wrynose Pass, and onto the Coniston Fells back to the car.

Just thought of it now so couldn't give you distances or whatever, but it would definitely be two days of beautiful walking, one more valleys, one more hills. You could decide which way to go round depending on which is the better day on the tops.
OP Tall Clare 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It is indeed two days of great walking - I did them as part of a coast-to-coast years ago. Duddon Valley is one of my favourite places, so that officially counts as a very good call!
 Carolyn 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I reckon you could do something nice between Borrowdale (Seathwaite/Seatoller/Honister Pass?) and Ennerdale Bridge - a sort of Ennerdale round over 2 days with a little more. Should be able to park/find accommodation at either end.
 Glyno 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Day 1: Park at Grasmere YHA and walk up Easedale to High Raise and follow central fells north (either high-level or Lakeside) to Keswick where you can stay either at the YHA or one of the many B&B's. Also lots of eateries.

Day 2: Get the bus (Honister Rambler) to Seatoller, walk to Seathwaite from where you can then walk up Grains Gill to Esk Hause, then east over Langdale Pikes and back down into Grasmere.
 rubisco 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

How about Ennerdale to Wasdale and then back again? There are a huge number of variations of passes and hills you could take and good accommodation options and a pub in Wasdale.
OP Tall Clare 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Some great suggestions here. Anyone got any suggestions perhaps taking in part of the Howgills?
Lusk 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

http://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_3144964.html

You'll need mapometer to look at this.
About 20 miles. I want to do it in one day myself.

J1234 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
i`m rather into linear walks at the moment, so maybe if you look on here http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?menu_type=S&path_name=... you may find some inspiration, there are loads of routes and we have used the line up from Barrow up the coast to access the start of walks.
Cheers sjc
 winhill 05 Aug 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> Some great suggestions here. Anyone got any suggestions perhaps taking in part of the Howgills?

Coincidence, I've just been looking at Cautley Spout (OL19) for this week, Sedbergh to Kirkby Stephen or Ravenstonedale, perhaps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...