UKC

Approach to Gigg North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 09 Aug 2013
Hi,
the last time I went to Gigg North I ended up at Gigg South after a traverse of the Hillside, can anyone give a succinct description of the approach for one as navigationally challenged as me.
Cheers sjc
In reply to sjc:

Park at the top of Buckhaw Brow. Go through the gate on the bridleway to Feizor and bear right at the top of the initial slope. The point you are aiming for is to the top left corner of the woods, there's a path (more of a wide worn strip of grass really) that drops down a little then gently rises. This path is on a levelish area *above* the scarp that is the continuation of Gigg South - you can see the last buttress of GS at the edge of the trees.

When you get above the woods, after about 200 metres you cut down to the right and contour beneath the crag. At no point do you cross any wall or fence to enter the woods.

Here's a shot http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/464036 The crag can be seen as a small knoll just above the woods just to the left of centre.

HTH

ALC
Wiley Coyote2 09 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:

Even shorter than that approach is to park in the big layby on the bypass on the hill down from the top of Buckhaw Brow (Clapham side) to the bypass. There's a very obvious place to step over the wire fence and take the path up and left which takes you to Hollywood Bowl and the main crag is just beyond that.
 Andy Say 09 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to sjc)
>
> Park at the top of Buckhaw Brow. Go through the gate on the bridleway to Feizor and bear right at the top of the initial slope. The point you are aiming for is to the top left corner of the woods, there's a path (more of a wide worn strip of grass really) that drops down a little then gently rises. This path is on a levelish area *above* the scarp that is the continuation of Gigg South - you can see the last buttress of GS at the edge of the trees.
>
> When you get above the woods, after about 200 metres you cut down to the right and contour beneath the crag. At no point do you cross any wall or fence to enter the woods.
>
> Here's a shot http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/464036 The crag can be seen as a small knoll just above the woods just to the left of centre.
>
> HTH
>
> ALC

That should get you nicely to Giggleswick South Upper Tier if I'm not mistaken.

Do'h!

Do you mean Gigg North or Gigg South Upper crag which is what I just described

A Mr Coyote says, park at the large layby and follow the path to the Hollywood Bowl. The path keeps contouring round to get to the various other buttresses.

ALC
In reply to Andy Say:

I was wondering how he got to Gigg South from the parking ??

ALC
 Andy Say 09 Aug 2013
Given that the thread title is : 'Approach to Gigg North' I'd kind of assumed he wanted to get to Gigg North...

But of course if you're coming from the Lakes then Gigg South would be the second crag so might feel like 'North' whereas when approaching from Keighley Gigg North is the second crag so feels like 'North'.

I suppose if you're coming from London they are BOTH Gigg North........?
In reply to Andy Say:

Stop rubbing it in!

ALC
J1234 09 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:
Thanks guys, I don`t feel so inept now in failing to find it last time. Plan is a few routes at High Stoney Bank, maybe cakes in Settle then onto Gigg North, I`ll never climb 8a, but bloody hell, I have a good time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...