UKC

BMC WiltonFest, getting nearer!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
astley007 09 Aug 2013
The firt BMC WiltonFest is now only 4 weeks away, Sat/Sun 14th/15th Sept. for those who havent put it on their calender
Free tea and coffee all day
BBQ (Black pudding swapped for burgers) and beer sorted for the Sat evening
Prize raffle has got loads of "goodies" in it, thanks to Wild Country, The Mountain Boot Company, Rockover and Awesome Walls (so far). You would be very unlucky to walk away without a prize!!!
Lots of the routes in all the Wilton quarries are very clean and just waiting for you to climb them.
For those comming from further afield, or wishing to camp, plenty of space within the quarry, but please be self sufficient for the Sunday Morning.
Why not come along? meet the "BMC" there will be plenty of BMC officers and volunteers there to answer your questions, point you at routes and debate the grades!!
Lets make it a fun day of climbing
 Team BMC 12 Aug 2013
See the BMC Local Areas site for more information:

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=2906
astley007 09 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
less than a week away now!!
 efrance24234 10 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: and wilton 1 is bone dry!
aultguish 10 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
The good word has been spread around on various FB sites also, looking like it's gonna be a busy weekend
astley007 11 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
More prizes have been donated to the raffle
Many thanks to John at the Manchester Climbing Centre

Also there is extra parking at at Horrocks Fold on the Scout Rd, it just means a 5mins walk to Wilton
 Tyler 11 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:

Is there any camping?
astley007 11 Sep 2013
In reply to Tyler: you can come and camp anywhere in Wilton but you need to be self sufficient
 full stottie 11 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
Keep your eyes open for the Bumper Book of Climbing Fun at the Fest - one of the authors will be there for more fun!
 cfer 11 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: is there much for a bumbling boulderer to go at? (Don't have a full rack, and haven't done anything but bouldering for ages now)
astley007 11 Sep 2013
In reply to cfer: Plenty of bouldering around Wilton, but you can always pop to brownstones have fun there and then come back to the event?
 robin mueller 11 Sep 2013
In reply to cfer:

Yes, lots of bouldering to do - all grades from easy to super hard. I'll be there just to boulder, and a few other people are bringing pads too. There are some fun lower grade problems around the prow - I'd be happy to show you around.
 cfer 11 Sep 2013
In reply to robin mueller:
> (In reply to cfer)
>
> Yes, lots of bouldering to do - all grades from easy, thats for me then

I'd be happy to show you around.

Excellent, thank you very much

rooroo 11 Sep 2013
In reply to cfer: I'll be bouldering too, pleanty to go at!
cheers
 robin mueller 12 Sep 2013
In reply to rooroo:

Great, should be a few boulderers there! There's also a plan to dig out the 3m high buttress in the scree slope and unearth a few problems. Bring a spade if you fancy helping out...
stupot2 12 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: are we having a firepit going?
might help out with the bolton midge!
stupot2 12 Sep 2013
In reply to robin mueller:
wheres the scree slope?
might need pick axes?
 StuartCJones 12 Sep 2013
So, how fast does Wilton dry out?
andyathome 12 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
Personally I think 'The WillyFest!' has more of a ring to it.

Might try to make it.....

Especially if I can camp in the quarry.
 robin mueller 13 Sep 2013
In reply to stupot2:
> (In reply to robin mueller)
> wheres the scree slope?

Opposite the prow and to the left a bit. Scree is perhaps the wrong word - it's the spoil heap/mud bank which forms the side of the quarry. There's a small clean wall poking out that has a few problems on. The aim is to extend this. I'm not sure what the ratio of rubble to earth is. We'll find out...

> might need pick axes?

Dunno, maybe. Do you have one?

efrance24234 13 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: 90% of wilton 1 is still bone dry after last nights rainjust incase anyone is woundering.
 efrance24234 13 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: make that 99% as its only white slab thats a little damp. Should be dry by tomorrow
 eschaton 13 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: heavy rain forecast for this afternoon and saturday evening
 rooroo 13 Sep 2013
In reply to eschaton: Will probably rain a bit this evening, not too much but should be dry all day tomorrow, hope to see lots of people down there!
astley007 13 Sep 2013
In reply to rooroo:
hope no-one is put of by the weather
there will be plenty of food, beer, tea and coffee (you might want to bring a mug)
Lots of excellent prizes in the raffle
Catch up with friends old and new!
Cheers
 Alex Thompson 13 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:
Forecast is looking good for tomorrow!! Whoop!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655237
In reply to astley007: just went on the saturday, excellent day, many thanks
 john morrissey 15 Sep 2013
In reply to michael burrows: Great day on Saturday. really good fun and loads of nice people. bring on next year.
GeoffM 16 Sep 2013
In reply to john morrissey:

Great day, weather was good the rock was dry. lots of routes climbed,some that hadnt been done for at least 10years
Beer,Food, coffee and loads of prizes.
Well Done the BMC

BPT@work 16 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007:

I'd like to add my thanks to everyone concerned with providing us with such a good time. The quarry looked in great condition with climbers doing routes all over the place.

Good to see:

- Old friends;
- The amount of cleaning that has gone on - well done Mountaineering Club of Bury, Dave M and doubtless many more;
- Climbers from as far away as Scotland, Spain, France and Yorkshire enjoying themselves;
- Black Pudding barm cakes and beer;
- Mums, Dads, toddlers and babies;
- One of the authors of The Bumper Book of Climbing Fun having a good time and adding to the fun;
- Very impressive raffle prizes (I reckon Derek went home happy!);
- Guys camping overnight - hope you got everything packed away before the rain came on Sunday.

All in all, a great day - I'm already looking forward to the next one! Thank you to everyone who was there.

Jon Wickham 16 Sep 2013
In reply to astley007: Unfortunately I didn't make it down. Was there any update on the new Lancashire guidebook?
 rooroo 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham: Due out next Easter ish. Les looking for action photos...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...