UKC

How quickly does Fair Head dry out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 13 Aug 2013
I'm thinking Fair Head should dry fairly quickly this time of year with a bit of a breeze, being a sea cliff with presumably limited seepage - so if it rains overnight it could be ok by say midday? With th cracks taking longer to dry out than the faces - albeit as far as I can make out, most of the routes for mere mortals involve cracks!

One thing that stands out from looking at the guide book (which admittedly is a decade old) is the vast quantity of unclimbed rock. Though as my mate said, if there's an E4 and an E5, what do you think goes up the face in between them?'. Something way harder than I can manage!
OP Misha 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Misha:
Just rereading my earlier thread re Irish climbing destinations, came across these very encouraging comments:

Even if you get iffy weather at Fairhead, by the way, it's not a bad damp-weather venue. If you stay away from the major corner lines (which can become waterfalls) the insides of the cracks can stay quite dry (depending on heaviness and wind direction, of course). The rock tends to dry fairly quickly if there's a breeze (and there usually is) and has good friction even when damp. I've climbed fifteen minutes after fairly heavy showers and been unable to notice appreciable dampness on the rock.

Of course it will be perfect weather for the next couple of weeks but just in case...
 Peter Milner 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Misha: I was there in July and the rock seemed to stay dry even when the whole area was engulfed in a damp sea mist that soaked the ground. But then it was pretty warm in July. It is predominantly north-facing, but the eastern sectors get the morning sun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...