UKC

mont blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ste parry 13 Aug 2013
Was planning to go up to the tete rousse in a couple of weeks via the bellevue lift and then the tramway, just found out the bellevue lift is closed due to a fire. Could I go up on the parion lift and then walk over to the nearest tramway station ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated
 Martin Haworth 13 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry:
Could I go up on the parion lift and then walk over to the nearest tramway station ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Yes, use the bubble lift and walk down to the next station, takes about 10 minutes ( Its a real uphill slog on the way back though!)

ianstevens 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Martin Haworth: Having done it a few days ago, it works fine. The slog back up is horrendous though! Also, be warned that the French Police have a little hut up by the Tete Rosse glacier, looking to discourage/catch potential biviing. There is a temporary base camp set up on the glacier which you can use if you don't use a hut though!
altirando 15 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry: Why not just get the tramway all the way up from the valley?
OP ste parry 15 Aug 2013
In reply to altirando:
That was the other option I was thinking about doing,I just wanted to put a post on here to see what options I had. This may all come down to a flip of a coin I think
 Womble 16 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry: we took the bubble on the way up and then the train on the way down then got a connection back to Chamonix. Only thing with that is you will be out of the 'free bus pass zone' so you have to pay about a fiver for the Cham train. I thought it was worth it with the state of my feet at the end!!
 mcrtchly 16 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry: I'm planning on doing this route in early September and wondered how easy is it for climbers to get the first tram up from Le Fayet or Saint-Gervais? I notice that you can book on-line a week ahead but not for the first two trams. Has anyone brought their tickets in advance at the station in Le Fayet or can climbers normally be accommodated (even if standing) on the first tram?

Martin
 JohnnyW 16 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry:

Did it a few weeks ago, and I agree, the slog back up to Prarion is hellish, especially in the heat of the afternoon.

I did think of driving around to St. Gervais, but it's a long way compared to Les Houches. I have got on the tram no problem in the mornings, but have had a game getting a reservation for the descent. This year we had to wait, but it was only 90 mins. Mind, I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the tourists on a day trip, crammed in with us stinking climbers.

markK6 17 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

I think the Les Houches, Prarion, TMB. is going to be my choice in September.

Looking at the timetables, including a bus from Cham. it appears possible to get the early bubble and meet the first tram up at Col De Voza, though the timings may be tight. Is the 10 minute walk down to the CDV. a stroll or rushing to meet the tram also how long does the Prarion lift take bottom to top?
 andyinglis 17 Aug 2013
In reply to mctchly:

First train from Le Fayet is at 7.20am. You can't arrive the day before and buy tickets for the next day. We arrived at ~6.50am, got tickets and breakfast from the café across the road, which made for a sociable start to the day. The train arrives around 8.30am so plenty of time to cross the great couloir (if your heading to the Gouter or a bivi spot up there) before it is in the sun for too long, hence starting to release rocks, debris etc. Last tram down is between 6.30pm and 7pm, I forget the exact time. Its a ~3hr walk to less houches if you happen to miss it!

Andy
 Tile Diver 17 Aug 2013
In reply to markK6:

I've done the walk from Prarion to CDV and the opposite way a couple of times this week, and if you can get from Prarion to CD Voza in 10mins then you'll be running like Fcuk all the way down!!
 Tile Diver 17 Aug 2013
In reply to ste parry:

Prarion bottom to top, about 8mins.
 JohnnyW 19 Aug 2013
In reply to markK6:

Yes, I reckon 15-20 mins is more like it for the walk down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...