UKC

Bouldering vs. Trad saftey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HenryCowan 14 Aug 2013
Simple question...do more people get injured/die from bouldering or trad?
 alooker 14 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: I would expect more people to get injured bouldering, but more to die/get seriously injured trad climbing.

I have no data to support this, just common sense!
 The Norris 14 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:

Amongst my bouldering friends, I've known of several broken ankles and minor limb injuries, but no deaths.

Amongs my trad mates, i cant think of any minor injuries, but one friend has unfortunately died.

Its not an ideal test of reality, but i would hazard a guess that it may be similar numbers in the real world... i.e more serious but less frequent injuries while trad climbing, and more minor injuries bouldering.

Ciderslider 14 Aug 2013
In reply to alooker: +1 common sense really
 Lukem6 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: sol far stats amongst my friends and people I've seen at crags are

Trad = 1 broken leg. and one person with broken pelvis, a bruised spine and 2 broken ribs. so thats 2 injuries. a few avoidable pieces of gears to heads but thats a lack of helmets, not that activity itself.

Bouldering = one broken ankle, one with torn ankle and one with a ruptured bicep. and an indoor severely dislocated ankle.

Soloing = one with 2 fractured ankles off embankment route 3(you know who you are) and one stretchered off with multiple wounds.

Interestingly only the trad climbers could recall their exact errors and stated they were avoidable.
 Michael Gordon 14 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:

What a silly thread.
 Rachel Slater 15 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: Are you talking about injuries in the sense of trying hard/training (eg pully tendon injuries) or from climbing accidents/mistakes (eg broken ankle)?
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to HenryCowan)
>
> What a silly thread.

But what is Saftey???

Ron Kenyon 16 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:

There are so few folk killed climbing that this is a stupid question. The question is - do you get more from doing a long trad route than spending a day doing a boulder problem - my vote for the trad route - but that is only an opinion.
 WILLS 17 Aug 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: knee injuries in bouldering may be higher. Repeated landings aren't good for the meniscus.
 GridNorth 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
>
> There are so few folk killed climbing that this is a stupid question.

Really? The numbers I have personally known runs into double figures.
OP HenryCowan 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
>
> There are so few folk killed climbing that this is a stupid question.

I'm sorry...what?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...