UKC

Long run nutrition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen-1992 15 Aug 2013
Personally I can't stand energy gels, can anyone recommend snacks to provide energy for long runs 20-27 miles
 Banned User 77 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127: Bananas
In reply to anon127:

Basically all they are is malt-syrup (slow releasing sugar). Get a jar of rice malt and bake it into whatever you want. If you want to include caffeine or electrolytes then most supplement shops will sell those too.
 steelbru 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:
Have you tried Clif Shot Bloks ? Some people find them easier to eat than gels, less messy too.

What about jelly babies, fruit pastilles, etc

Flapjack, oat bars, etc
 Tall Clare 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

One of my friends is wheat-intolerant and doesn't much like gels - if I remember rightly she's been making her own energy bars for runs of those sorts of distances. Will find out what's in them and report back.
 Baron Weasel 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127: Oat cakes, butter and salami for me on long bike rides - keeps you going forever!
alanbill99 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel: Mars Bars. Used em for years, slither down. Only problem is the heat though
 The New NickB 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

Slow or close to your target marathon pace?
Removed User 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

I just drink Lucozade Sport on long runs. 1 bottle every 7 - 10 miles.

Mind you, it doesn't taste that great either.
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Useranon127)
>
> I just drink Lucozade Sport on long runs. 1 bottle every 7 - 10 miles.
>
> Mind you, it doesn't taste that great either.

Probably sticky throwing it over your head though.
 StefanB 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

Depends on how long 20-26 miles take you. If we are talking under 3 hours (or high intensity effort), liquid food such as maltodextrin. If we are talking 6 hour mountain bumble, energy bars, dried fruit, sandwich with light filling, etc.
 Run_Ross_Run 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:
Pittas with cheese and peanut butter. Mmmm.
 ablackett 15 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127: Boiled small spuds with salt. Refried beans in a tortilla. Both good for a long day.
In reply to ablackett:
Refried beans in a tortilla.

Yes, yes, yes. +1 for them for sure! Jelly babies are immense and a good substitute for gels. You can make your own flapjacks cheaply and easily and put whatever you want in them, including glucose syrup, maltodextrin etc.

As someone mentioned, the intensity of your exercise will make a big difference to what is appropriate. For a long fell race I'd take only gels and/or sweets but on a long day out something you actually want to eat does you no end of good 15 miles from the car. I survived (and even enjoyed!) the V3K Ultra across the welsh 3000's this year on sweets, pizza, 'sausage' rolls, peanuts, marmite butties, posh red bull substitute, bananas..... If you're going long (50k+) then whatever you feel like eating and can keep down is the right food!
 thedatastream 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Days on Rock:
> (In reply to ablackett)
> Refried beans in a tortilla.
>
> Yes, yes, yes. +1 for them for sure! Jelly babies are immense and a good substitute for gels. You can make your own flapjacks cheaply and easily and put whatever you want in them, including glucose syrup, maltodextrin etc.
>
> As someone mentioned, the intensity of your exercise will make a big difference to what is appropriate. For a long fell race I'd take only gels and/or sweets but on a long day out something you actually want to eat does you no end of good 15 miles from the car. I survived (and even enjoyed!) the V3K Ultra across the welsh 3000's this year on sweets, pizza, 'sausage' rolls, peanuts, marmite butties, posh red bull substitute, bananas..... If you're going long (50k+) then whatever you feel like eating and can keep down is the right food!

I agree with all of the above!
 Mark Torrance 16 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

From experience: Nothing that you might ever want to enjoy again as part of your normal not-out-for-a-run diet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

Banned User 77 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Mark Torrance:
> (In reply to anon127)
>
> From experience: Nothing that you might ever want to enjoy again as part of your normal not-out-for-a-run diet
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

Never knew about that.. experienced it but never knew it had a term.

I also find that I need options as suddenly something I've ran well on for years can be an issue.. it's a royal pain in the arse..
 Mark Torrance 16 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

My guess is that a large part of the "what works for me" variation across people is due to these kinds of psychological effects. The physiological mechanisms aren't going to vary that much across people. This doesn't make them any less real, though. If you feel sick, you feel sick, regardless of the source of the effect.
 DancingOnRock 16 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

Jelly babies have been my choice for a few years but in the last couple of races they've given me bad digestive problems. Although I suspect that it's not the jelly babies and my just be a coincidence. In which case it wouldn't have mattered what I had taken.

I suspect it may have been because I was running hard as an all out effort for a half marathon.

20miles+ I used to eat a small bowl 25g porridge/75g milk an hour before the run then a banana half an hour before. Jelly babies at about 15miles 2per mile
 Marek 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Mark Torrance:
> (In reply to anon127)
>
> From experience: Nothing that you might ever want to enjoy again as part of your normal not-out-for-a-run diet
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

I've definately experienced this. 30+ years ago I had a choppy sea crossing on a stomach full of Coca Cola. Haven't been able to drink the stuff since. I just switched from liking the taste to seriously disliking it overnight. Weird.
ice.solo 17 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

Slices of pizza. Dont be scared to make your own or tweak ready-mades.

Note: peanut butter goes surprisingly well on pizza. As does japanese umeboshi. Strange, but works.
 snapperdan 17 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127: I know a bloke who did a Bob Graham on pork pies! Personally I'd avoid anything really sugary. Stuff like jelly babies are good for a quick boost, but you'll have a bit of a sugar crash if you're not careful.

Cliff bars are really good, but having a decent meal a few hours before your run and topping up with a bit of water with a weak energy solution is the best thing in my experience.
 steveriley 28 Aug 2013
In reply to snapperdan:
I know a bloke that did the Bob Graham on Kendal mint cake. Just Kendal mint cake. Errk!
 Radioactiveman 28 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

clif shot bloks are good but pricey

kind of like pieces of jelly ,easy to eat kind of a compromise between a bar and gel
 edunn 28 Aug 2013
In reply to anon127:

Snickers. Simples
In reply to edunn: Naked bars I find quite appealing
I've recently embarked on an experiment with baby food
idea was they come in sachets, organic, all natural, cost less than gel and have remarkably similar nutritional content, with LOADS for flavours
combined with an electrolyte but 0 calorie drink (nuun or similar) i thought it might be a winner.
all the ones I've tried so far ARE RANCID
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Southampton Tom: I use those naked baby food pouches.. I like them.
 PanzerHanzler 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Southampton Tom:

> I've recently embarked on an experiment with baby food... all the ones I've tried so far ARE RANCID

Was going to try the same idea - strangely enough your post hasn't inspired - virtual like button pressed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...