UKC

Nodding Hello

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thedatastream 15 Aug 2013
I always nod hello to other cyclists (unless I've got my head on the bars straining to get up a very small hill and don't notice them)

Reckon only about 1/3rd nod back.

Do you nod hello or the glass-eyed-1000-yard-call-that-cycling stare?

Morty 15 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream:
Not sure about cyclists but most motorcyclists nod back when we pass.
 Solar 15 Aug 2013
I always nod. This has come up in discussion with friends before and the consensus is it is either:
a) newbies who don't know the friendly greeting,
or,
b) miserable gits.
 stewieatb 15 Aug 2013

I nod, wave, or occasionally peace-salute pretty much every cyclist I come across. I also shout encouragement at anyone struggling up a climb I'm flying down.
 bigbobbyking 15 Aug 2013

I try to do the nonchalant raise of a finger from the bars. But sometimes I find myself lost in the moment and only register a moment too late that a cyclist has gone the other way and given me a nod or other acknowledgement...
 steveriley 15 Aug 2013
I glance at their downtube to see if they are worth my attention
No really, I'm a nice fella I mostly let on, I have a harder time passing people putting the effort in and not being patronising. Not that I'm fast like.
andymac 15 Aug 2013

I always nod ,or even say hi.

Some return the greeting .most don't.

The most that don't come across as arseholes ,pretending they are on hugely important training runs.
 Mark Morris 15 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: Coolest guy passing me as I struggled up the last bit of my local run, came up silently hooked my wheel, felt no benefit at all, just flicked his left hand of the bars and nodded helmet as he drifted past.

I always nod and lift hand from bars to oncoming cyclists, just as there's no reason not to say hello whilst walking.

Mark
 Dom Whillans 15 Aug 2013
interesting... in the first week that i've had a road a road bike in 20-odd years (160 miles so far), i've been let onto much more often than in the 3 years i've been back on knobblies. companionship of the road or some such noble sentiment?
 Nexonen 15 Aug 2013

I think the reason why you don't get so many returning the nod is that by the time most people have received your nod it's too late to reply. This happens to me a lot, I think a lot of people are afraid of making the first move. If I can react in time I will but often I react once they've already passed!
 Skol 15 Aug 2013
I nod at both roadies and MTBers as I have a cyclocross.
Like a mongrel, I get ignored mainly by both as a weirdo
 jules699 15 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: Usually I'm pedalling uphill due to where I live so I tend to wave than say hello - equal levels of response. I prefer vocal comms but any is betta than none!
 BelleVedere 15 Aug 2013

I still remember the time a basque cycling god type blew a kiss at me while i was touring out there. i grinned for about 20miles.
 Chris the Tall 15 Aug 2013
Always say hello when I overtake someone, usually nod to those coming the other way but sometimes it's a bit pointless if there's lots of traffic or they are going fast.

But then again, I even say hello to walkers and dogs
 kevin stephens 15 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: acknowledging nod of helmet Ito oncoming cyclist is returned 90% of the time here up north. When overtaking young children or church bound spinsters with basket on bars I resist calling out "Dig In!"
el.sabor 15 Aug 2013
Everyone, all the time! Got a bit frantic when I was working down in London.

I always give a nod, except here in Holland.... i'd be like the Churchill nodding dog all day on the bike and no one nods back.
 nniff 16 Aug 2013

I tend to - don't always get a response - 66% is suppose. Always when I pass someone. Tend to say hello at traffic lights unless the angles are all wrong.

In a group, always acknowledge other groups, especially other local clubs
OP thedatastream 16 Aug 2013

Well I suppose not many people are going to admit to being mardy buggers and not saying hi!

I always say hello to people overtaking / being overtaken and stopping at lights is usually an excuse for a quick chinwag.

I'll keep an eye out for the finger-lifted-from-bar greeting.
 digby 16 Aug 2013

> Well I suppose not many people are going to admit to being mardy buggers and not saying hi!

I will.

Why do cyclists have time and interest to nod hello at me when I'm running? I don't know you and there's no shortage of you on the road/cycle path/track whatever. My adrenalin's up and friendship is not on my mind!

When I'm cycling there's about 4 million other cyclists about. Alright there's a certain amount of kinship but it's spread rather thin. Is it really worth the acknowledgment?

Are hikers so called because they always say hi?
 Kimono 16 Aug 2013
So what's the etiquette for when you overtake people? Nodding doesn't work so I tend to say hi.
I shot past someone on the approach to the Horseshoe Pass a while back and he replied with a cry of: 'you swine!'
Lighthearted though and made me smile
 Tricky Dicky 16 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: Nod like a nodding donkey!!
 nniff 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Kimono:
> (In reply to thedatastream)
> So what's the etiquette for when you overtake people? Nodding doesn't work so I tend to say hi.
> I shot past someone on the approach to the Horseshoe Pass a while back and he replied with a cry of: 'you swine!'
> Lighthearted though and made me smile

Eight of us, line astern, all working hard, slightly uphill, went flying past someone a few weekends ago. Each of us said 'Morning' and as No 5 went past he said 'Am I going f..ing backwards or something?'

Removed User 16 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: I just flip the birdie when stonking passed other cyclists up hills. If, god forbid, I get done on a climb I secretly flip the birdie behind the rider in front.
 AndyC 16 Aug 2013

In Norway the 1000-yarder is de rigeur, whether you're walking, cycling or driving a car. If you acknowledge anyone they probably assume you are the village idiot... or a damn foreigner. I like to wave 'thank-you' to drivers who do cyclist friendly stuff, but it's such an alien concept that they probably think I'm being abusive!
KevinD 16 Aug 2013

shout "pay some road tax you tax dodging communist hippie"
 Rog Wilko 16 Aug 2013
In reply to thedatastream: Oop the friendly north you'll get about 95% response I reckon.
Jimbo W 16 Aug 2013

In Dundee area, I nod, and the vast majority of cyclists either nod back, or nod before I have.
 Timmd 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko: I don't want to be parochial, but most people say hi if I do.

Sometimes I don't if I'm grinding up a hill and they woosh past downwards, or the other way round.

I greet people if it seems 'fitting', kind of hard to explain. Some people appear to be in their own world and enjoying it.
In reply to thedatastream: I always nod or say hello when passing. If I overtake someone I say hello but I don't know if this makes me friendly or a cocky tw*t.
 Wee Davie 17 Aug 2013

I always acknowledge other cyclists and runners with a nod. Things seem better now than back in the 90's when roadies would ignore you if you were on a mtb. Probably more cross over between the two?
 Chris Harris 17 Aug 2013

Depends. The follwing will not get a nod:

1. Kid on a BMX

2. Old biddy with a wicker basket

3. Hipster on a fixie

4. Anyone not obeying The Rules

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...