UKC

NEWS: E8 and E9 for Caroline Ciavaldini

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Aug 2013
Caroline Ciavaldini having it on Chupacabra, on one of the best crags in the UK... Huntsman's Leap., 3 kbFrench climber Caroline Ciavaldini has just made two very impressive ascents in Wales with ascents of the Pembroke classic Chupacabra, E8 6c, in Huntsman's Leap and Chicama, E9 6c, at Trearddur Bay in North Wales...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68289
In reply to UKC News:

Strange wording on picture caption: 'Caroline Ciavaldini having it on Chupacabra'. Is this some new, rather unfortunate climbing term?
 AJM 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Fairly common climbing term. "have it" is what you (well, probably not you I suppose!) might say to encourage someone through the crux of their route. Other derivations around the verb "to have it" exist

Its very Tim Emmett. If you watch films he features in chances are you'll hear it being used.
 Ssshhh 20 Aug 2013

You're right. Really it should be "'aving it", no 'h', just an apostrophe.

In my opinion (or should that be 'IMO') "falling through" is a greater abuse of language. I assume it is being used to contrast with "getting through" but, as there is common climbing term "falling upward", the meaning of "falling through" is a little ambiguous.
Removed User 20 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News: Great to see some Euros doing some proper climbing. 'Having it' sounds like a rave term, rather than a climbing term.

dude
In reply to Ssshhh:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)

> In my opinion (or should that be 'IMO') "falling through" is a greater abuse of language. I assume it is being used to contrast with "getting through" but, as there is common climbing term "falling upward", the meaning of "falling through" is a little ambiguous.

C'mon, Gordon, get with the programme. Even dinosaurs like me say 'have it'.

'Falling through', on the other hand, is just illiterate. From the context I suppose that 'through' is meant to mean 'after', but it might also be 'during'.

Good to see CC, er, having it, anyway.

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I also say have it/having it, but in a completely different context.
 The Pylon King 20 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

AWESOME!

Some mint crushing going down there. rad.
 Morgan Woods 20 Aug 2013

You can only "have it" if you "bring it".
Removed User 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods: Surely you can 'have it', if you 'take it'?
 lithos 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

or send it ! Is this like Euro Cake ?

I think you can probably fake 'having it'.
 Mike Stretford 20 Aug 2013
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Fairly common climbing term. "have it" is what you (well, probably not you I suppose!) might say to encourage someone through the crux of their route. Other derivations around the verb "to have it" exist

Just a common term in sport (participating and watching).... me thinks Gordon is trying too hard.

In reply to Papillon:

Methinks you are taking my comments too seriously.
Removed User 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I don't think Papillon is 'getting it'
 matthew jones 20 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:
I think everyone should "leave it"
 Gus 20 Aug 2013
In reply to matthew jones:
must be good connies down there!
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth) I don't think Papillon is 'getting it'

Apparently not. Sad.
In reply to Papillon:

I don't think so, because most people do not think 'it' is 'shit'.
> (In reply to Papillon)
>
> I don't think so, because most people do not think 'it' is 'shit'.

I think sex is great. I think your senses of humour is shit.

But then you knew that anyway.

In reply to Papillon:

I wasn't trying to be funny at all, just drawing attention to a strange new use of the term that seemed to have curious overtones bearing in mind how it is already often used in common parlance. OK, the 'fake' thing was a humorous quip and a serious point at the same time.
> (In reply to Papillon)
>
> I wasn't trying to be funny at all, just drawing attention to a strange new use of the term that seemed to have curious overtones bearing in mind how it is already often used in common parlance. OK, the 'fake' thing was a humorous quip and a serious point at the same time.

Fair enough, there might have been a bit work frustration in my arsey comment. Seriously though, I've heard 'getting it' for sex, obviously, but not 'having it'... only ever heard that in relation to sport or games, and it's defo not new. Could be a regional thing.
 AlanLittle 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Papillon:

I get the feeling you're all (deliberately?) missing the point that she's only "having it" because she's climbing a Tim Emmett route.

(If she were on a Fawcett route, would her arms be doing their stuff? Presumably)
 galpinos 20 Aug 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

Isn't it a Ben Bransby route?
 AlanLittle 20 Aug 2013
In reply to galpinos:

You're right, I'm wrong. I thought I read Emmett on James Pearson's blog. I'm the one missing the point. Oops.
In reply to UKC News

Great Effort!
 Robert Durran 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:
> In reply to UKC News
>
> Great Effort!

Oh don't spoil it! This thread is so much better than people fawningly saying "jolly well done" or [vomit] "chapeau" to someone they don't know and will probably never meet. Irreverance is an essentiual part of our climbing culture.

Nic_Sandy 21 Aug 2013
I would say that 'falling through the crux' on an E8 could be described as 'avin' it large or even 'to the largess'
 Blue Straggler 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> Irreverance is an essentiual part of our climbing culture.

Creative spelling is an essential part of our UKC kultur!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...