UKC

Today! Mile Climb Challenge for The Christie Cancer Hospital

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J B Oughton 20 Aug 2013
If you're out climbing today and see a man in a purple Climbers Against Cancer T-shirt soloing as many easy routes as possible at Windgather, Castle Naze, Burbage, and The Roaches, you'll likely be looking at my Dad.

He's currently on a mission to climb a Vertical Mile to raise money for the Christie Cancer Hospital in Manchester, which will be around 180 routes.

Early this morning he was out at Hobson Moor racking up the metres soloing around twenty routes, and he's making his way along Windgather as I type.

I'm sure a lot of people on these forums have been affected by cancer, and any donations would be really appreciated.

Already, well over £2000 has already been raised for a great cause, so help Dad reach his target for £2 per metre - that's £3200! - by donating on his Just Giving Page.

http://www.justgiving.com/DominicOughton

I'll be updating as he progresses along his challenge.
OP J B Oughton 20 Aug 2013
Here is the rough schedule for the day:

8am – Hobson Moor: circa 20 routes of 15m = 300m
10am – Windgather: circa 60 routes of 8m = 500m
1pm – Castle Naze: circa 20 routes of 10m = 200m
3pm – Roaches: circa 15 routes of 20m = 300m
5pm – Burbage North: circa 50 routes of 8m = 400m
7pm – The Little John, Hathersage: circa 2 pints

So if you happen to be around any of these crags at these times, show some support, put some money in his tin, throw rocks, whatever takes your fancy!
In reply to Joughton: Having just ticked off another 60 routes at Windgather, Dad is now pretty close to the halfway marker...

He's keeping a live blog at every crag on: http://www.blog.rucksackclub.org/?p=2945
In reply to Joughton: Dads cracked on at both Castle Naze and The Roaches, and his now completing his final few hundred metres at burbage.
In reply to Joughton: Having completed a vertical mile of climbing today, he's now relaxing in the pub enjoying a well earned victory beer! Probably feeling a little relieved...
 kingholmesy 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Joughton:

Nice one Dom - good effort!
 oaktree 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Joughton: great effort-your dad deserves a pint!
In reply to Joughton:

Well played, sir.

jcm
 dominic o 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Joughton:

Just a quick note to say a huge Thank You to everyone who has supported my Mile Climb Challenge in aid of Cancer Research at The Christie. I successfully completed the Challenge last week with just a few aches and pains (and no broken bones!) – 164 routes on Hobson Moor, Windgather, Castle Naze, The Roaches and Burbage North and about 25m over the mile marker. You’ll find some more details and a few pictures at http://www.blog.rucksackclub.org/?p=2945

Thanks to everyone’s generosity we’ve already raised over £3,000 for this great cause – I’ve been really overwhelmed with the support and the kind words.

Brilliant! Of course, the page is still open at www.justgiving.com/DominicOughton

Many thanks again!

Cheers

Dom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...