UKC

Psychology Research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
a.macgregor 20 Aug 2013
Seeking climbers and non-climbers to complete an online questionnaire.

The research is being conducted at Bangor University, and your participation would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone who completes the questionnaire will be eligible to be entered into a draw for the chance to win a GoPro Hero3.

Click the link to proceed to the questionnaire: http://goo.gl/Bswwpz

Thank you in advance for taking part.

Posted with the permission of UKClimbing.com
In reply to a.macgregor:

It would help if you could give us an inkling as to what the research is about, before having us fill in all our contact details to find out.
 toad 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: yes, a bit too vague for me to start giving out friends contact details willy-nilly.
a.macgregor 20 Aug 2013
In reply to toad and Gordon Stainforth:

Thank you both for your comments, your feedback is greatly appreciated. That section of the questionnaire has now been moved towards the end.

Informants provide a valuable source of information which is becoming more sought after in psychological research. I hope this amendment will make the process of completing the questionnaire easier and the reason for providing informant contact details clearer.
abseil 20 Aug 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

Done, but I don't like giving out my exact birth date - couldn't you just ask for year? - so I put 1.1.1900.

Anyway good luck with your research, results should be interesting.
 lithos 20 Aug 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

you got ethics permission to ask for friends details ?
Don't think that'd fly in our dept (Psych.)
 Daysleeper 20 Aug 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

I'm just completing the "what activities have you done" the ones that I've never done are going on the bucket list (apart from base jumping)
a.macgregor 03 Sep 2013
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to complete the online questionnaire so far, your participation is greatly appreciated. I have had a good response, however I am still seeking more climbers to take part.
 Cobbler 03 Sep 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

I'd like to help but I'm not going to volunteer other people's time.
almost sane 03 Sep 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:
Tried.
Found I didn't fit easily into many of the categories given.
Got bored.
Gave up.
 dunc56 03 Sep 2013
In reply to almost sane: I'm with you - bored and gave up.

What level of football am I -beginner, novice, Intermediate, advanced, expert. Doesn't really fit does it
In reply to a.macgregor: Pretty straightforward. Is it just me or did I not find a single thing to complain about regarding this survey? It might not be perfect but it's helping someone out.
If you don't want to give out other people's details then jujst press the "next" key, it's simple.
a.macgregor 01 Nov 2013
The survey closes on the 6th November at 11:59pm
 Michael Gordon 01 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

What on earth is a gopro hero3?
 probablylost 01 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor: Same as most of the above, got bored and gave up.
 Choss 01 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

I filled it in, but stopped when it requested 2 Friends contact details. I wouldn't do that online. Bit of a Flaw methinks
 JIMBO 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> I filled it in, but stopped when it requested 2 Friends contact details. I wouldn't do that online. Bit of a Flaw methinks

You don't need to fill in any details, just click next...
 Choss 01 Nov 2013
In reply to JIMBO:
> (In reply to Choss)
> [...]
>
> You don't need to fill in any details, just click next...

Didnt Know that at the Time Though.
a.macgregor 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Ideally we would like you to provide the contact details of an informant so that we can get another perspective on your behaviours. However, if you are unhappy to provide these details then you can leave them blank and click next at the bottom of the page. A few people have had similar responses and I will take this feedback on board for future studies.
 deepsoup 04 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:
Do you ask the informant to fill in a survey too?
Perhaps people would be less reluctant to provide you with a name if they could get a preview of what you're going to be asking/telling that person.
a.macgregor 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon: A GoPro Hero3 is a small wearable sports camera that you can use to record video or take stills http://gopro.com/cameras
a.macgregor 04 Nov 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to a.macgregor)
> Do you ask the informant to fill in a survey too?
> Perhaps people would be less reluctant to provide you with a name if they could get a preview of what you're going to be asking/telling that person.

Yes, we ask the informant to complete two short questionnaires similar to the ones you complete as a participant, about coping with stress. It is too late to change our approach at this stage, but I agree that a preview might be worthwhile and I will take your feedback onboard for future surveys.
 Toby S 04 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:

I've filled it out in the spirit of psychology solidarity I'm studying it at the OU at the moment.
 Michael Gordon 04 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor: Ah ok, cheers
 Dr.S at work 04 Nov 2013
In reply to a.macgregor:
I'm curiuous that you have not addressed the ethics question posted earlier - your initial approach here is just about ok, but asking people for other peoples contact details would be hard to fly at my University.
 Jon Read 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work:
Depends how and if those 3rd parties are approached by the researchers I would guess. Snowball / participant-led recruitment isn't unheard of.
 cathsullivan 05 Nov 2013
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to a.macgregor)
>
> you got ethics permission to ask for friends details ?
> Don't think that'd fly in our dept (Psych.)

Nor in mine.
a.macgregor 05 Nov 2013
> you got ethics permission to ask for friends details ?

Yes, this research project has been granted ethical approval as stated in the information provide on the first page of the survey before you agree to participate the research project.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...