UKC

Leonard Cohen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 21 Aug 2013
belatedly getting into his music, I've got The Future and Old Ideas, can anyone recommend particularly seminal, interesting, classic or great albums?

Thanks
 coinneach 21 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

I'm Your Man
Songs of Love and Hate
 Chambers 21 Aug 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: I've been enjoying Lenny the Jew's music for almost as long as I've been climbing. Which is a very long time. 'Ten New Songs' is, in my opinion, one of his finest bits of work, but you should check out the 'Live in London' album. Sublime. Give me cracks and anal sex, take the only tree that's left, stuff it up the hole in your culture!
 Rob Naylor 22 Aug 2013

Longs of Leonard Cohen
Songs From a Room
Songs of Love and Hate
I'm your man

are the 4 that I enjoy reprising most....great to hear the change in style from the early very "acoustic" ambience to the more bull-on band sound of "I'm Your Man".

When I first saw him live (think it was Oslo in 1980 or thereabouts) I was surprised when he did the first half of the show as a solo acoustic set and then came back after the interval with a full rock band, backing singers and some really up-beat stuff. We're used to seeing him with a full band these days but back then it was a real and delightful novelty.
meehaja 22 Aug 2013
For a slight change of tone, his books are quite good too.
 Pekkie 22 Aug 2013

His recent 'Ten New Songs' is great. 'By The Rivers Dark' is vintage Cohen - deep and dark (I suppose the title gives it away). Oh, and he's good live.
 Jim Lancs 22 Aug 2013
Live in London is a good compilation of his more recent interpretation of his songs.

Or alternatively go and see him live - he's on tour at the moment. I went after hearing Mark Radcliffe say he wasn't particularly a fan but rated Leonard Cohen's concert at the O2 one of the best live gigs ever.
Removed User 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Went to see him live last year as I have been a lifelong fan. He was every bit as good as I expectd him to be and more.
Moley 23 Aug 2013
So much great material to chose from over several decades, most already mentioned. I've listened to him since 60's and saw him live 3 years ago, he's a perfectionist, fantastic and the repertoire of great songs never seem to end.

I also enjoy Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat', good cover versions of Cohen - worth picking up or listening if you see it somewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...