UKC

Cheap Abseil / Static Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 22 Aug 2013
Seen a cheap new Marlow ab rope on fleabay (can't post a link on here), £40 for 200ft...seems very cheap so a bit suspicious

Before I commit to buy, can anyone see any problems with this cheap ab rope?

Or know of any other cheap deals?

SGD 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: Hi Ian, Funnily enough I was checking out ab ropes recently and found loads of great deals on Marlow ropes on various rope Access sites. They seem to be a reputable brand used in the trade and I was amazed at the price difference between the climbing/caving sites and the rope access ones??

Saying That £40 is super cheap..... I think the best deal I found was about £120 for 200m.
 JoshOvki 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Would you could it failing and you dieing as a problem? You don't know how it has been stored, and it seems like the company sells an odd number of items.

Something you are going to have your entire weight on with nothing else stopping you going splat, I wouldn't risk it but I am paranoid.
 Dan Lane 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

No idea, though i can reccomend Caving Supplies in Buxton (www.caving-supplies.co.uk/) as a place to buy cheap static rope. They somehow manage to sell Mammut static for significantly less than the trade price of Beal ropes...Still, they seem like decent ropes to me!
OP Sl@te Head 22 Aug 2013
In reply to SGD: Just phoned up to find that the ropes are 2001 ropes so I guess technically out of date as I believe that ropes have a shelf life of 5 years or so I've been told anyway.
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks for the link, £45 for a 10mm 50m static.
 SGD 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: yeh - I don't think I'd be happy with a rope made in 2001....

WJV0912 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I've a 50m 10.5mm Beal Antipodes static/caving/rigging rope for sale if you're interested? Used 4 times and still in great condition.
In reply to WJV0912: I'm away at the moment will contact you early next week.....
OP Sl@te Head 27 Aug 2013
In reply to WJV0912: Just sent you an e-mail....
In reply to SGD:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J) yeh - I don't think I'd be happy with a rope made in 2001....

Stored properly, Nylon does not degrade over time.
 tallsteve 27 Aug 2013

> Stored properly, Nylon does not degrade over time.

Too true. Provided it was kept in a dark place in a stable environment, and not made by the same people who make Cheese Strings!

My first climbing rope was a Marlow. Its a reputable make.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...