UKC

Main Wall cyrn las

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drsdave 22 Aug 2013
Hi Guys,
anyone done this route, MAIN WALL CYRN LAS. What gear is recommended, i.e multiple No 2 cams or found that i should have taken more numbers 1's etc etc.
Thanks

d
In reply to drsdave:

Standard rack plus a few slings.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber: The slings are important. I remember using a few long ones both to extend runners to minimise rope drag and for belays.

T.
OP drsdave 22 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

thanks
d
OP drsdave 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

thanks

d
In reply to drsdave: I don't remember taking anything special. I don't think I even had a full rack of cams. Definitely take slings though!
 Shone 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:
A helmet
 jimjimjim 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: just get on it....whatever ever gear you take it's possible to do it with less. It's not a hard route and if there was something out of the ordinary needed the guide books would no doubt say so. The fact the you're asking the question tells a lot.
Good luck
In reply to Shone:
> (In reply to drsdave)
> A helmet

Very much recommended. There's a fair bit of loose rock here and there and a party below us pulled off a pretty big lump when I did it. Not to put you off though, it's a great route!
In reply to jimjimjim:
> The fact the you're asking the question tells a lot

Yes indeed; that he plans on doing it.

Before, and during, the age of the internet haven't we all talked to someone in a pub about a route we planned to do and which they'd done and asked them about it?

T.

jimjimjim 22 Aug 2013
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> [...]
>
> Yes indeed; that he plans on doing it.
>
And...

jimjimjim 22 Aug 2013
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> [...]

>
> Before, and during, the age of the internet haven't we all talked to someone in a pub about a route we planned to do and which they'd done and asked them about it?
>
> T.

I suppose so...but the answer has ofter been ' just get on it youth'.
In reply to jimjimjim: And the rest of what I posted.

If you're trying to tell me you've never asked anyone about a route you hope one day to do then you're telling an untruth.

The only difference here is that an opinion is being crowd-sourced rather than personally requested.

T.
All the Gear, No Idea 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: A fantastic route, best kit addition/essential gear would be a camera.
I have got some awesome photos on this route,
Rack= standard set+half set wires, 1-3 size cams get selection slings, and that should do it, pitches not overly long, very climbable, ie no thrashing up esoteric horror shows, a proper class climb ...enjoy
 stonemaster 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: Hexes and nuts. Cams may be considered cheating by some. Long slings useful. Good luck.
 jcw 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: A pair of PAs if you haven't got boots!!! How many more entries on this climb?
 SGD 23 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: Lots of slings and I actually found hex's more usefull than cams
OP drsdave 23 Aug 2013

yer cheers mate, Im afraid in an open forum such as this you'll always get a nob head or two but for most i get really good comments that help me understand how to climb better. So thanks to yourself and others, trully
d
OP drsdave 23 Aug 2013
In reply to All the Gear, No Idea:
thanks
d
 jimjimjim 23 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: oooer....do you mean me? Sound. Ask a shit question and you'll get some shit answers.

Hello....just wondering what sort of gear I need to do a low grade rock climb that gets climbed all the time and is well covered in loads of guide books?

You need to take some slings mate.....

Well f**k me...

Hope you have a great time.
Yours
Jimbo
 Jimbob11 23 Aug 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

Some people are new to climbing and make use of the Internet. No need to be a arse was there. You could have chose not to post and leave it to the ones who had something nice and useful to write really.
 BigHairyIan 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: fantastic route. Yes, as already said, standard rack plus s lot of slings. Hope you get the weather, and don't forget your camera!
 Jamie B 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:

Just take a standard trad rack for a multi-pitch Hard Severe. If you're not sure what this is I'd counsel doing some other routes to find out; Main Wall is quite serious.
 Offwidth 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:

Enjoy... its arguably the best route in the Uk (Adverikie Wall might just pip it).
OP drsdave 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Jimbob11:
thats about where its at Jim and yes Im fairly new to climbing and i guess this will be my second ever lead on a HS. Thanks for yours and other helpful advice and encouragement. UKC is a the best site ever!
 Al Evans 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to drsdave)
>
> Enjoy... its arguably the best route in the Uk (Adverikie Wall might just pip it).

The best route?! I think you mean best Hard Severe I've done dozens of routes in the UK that are better.

adam11 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I started on gear like that too, then progressed onto the almost cube like nuts that Clog made. I still carry a Moac original (mainly as a lucky charm ) My first stickies (before my PA's) were a pair of Desert boots with a crepe sole, they didn't slide around like Tricounis!

.............and now we have bolts!!!!!!!
OP drsdave 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
lol,yer i get it, i understand in days gone by that whitworth grade nuts were the in thing. You know I work a with range of interesting people, one of which is a 92 year old ex mountaineer. He's promised me some sort of gear provided i use it and I will, so if you see anyone dressed in tweed carrying what should belong on a deltic walking in the mountains that might well be me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...