UKC

Liverpool Football Club Word List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 23 Aug 2013
Was listening to R4 this morning and it appears football clubs are clamping down on unacceptable chants. Sexism appears to be on the up.

One of the chants cited as unacceptable is " Stephen Gerrard kicks like a girl"

Maybe he does but is this going too far?

Full list....
http://www.byfarthegreatestteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/image3.jpg

Coel Hellier 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Antigua:

Pet-bugbear alert:

Quoting LFC: "The club wishes to eradicate *any* form of discrimination or discriminatory behaviour ...".

While society rightly deprecates ***some*** forms of "discrimination", the word is very general, to "discriminate" just means to "make a distinction". In many cases this is entirely valid.

For example, in picking the team, Liverpool FC discriminate between good football players and bad ones. Do they *really* wish to "eradicate" this form of "discriminatory behaviour"??

What they really want to eradicate is offensive behaviour or treating people less favourably based on race, sex, etc.

</Pet-bugbear>
Antigua 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> (In reply to Antigua)
>
> Pet-bugbear alert:
> What they really want to eradicate is offensive behaviour or treating people less favourably based on race, sex, etc.

There are most certainly football chants out there which are completely unacceptable but is "X kicks like a girl" really that 'offensive'? or "Man up" especially when you see a player going down like he's been taken out by a sniper when there was no contact?
In reply to Antigua:

> or "Man up" especially when you see a player going down like he's been taken out by a sniper when there was no contact?

Absolutely. The correct usage is 'Person up'.

For some reason, though, it's not catching on.

jcm
 goldmember 23 Aug 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: woman up ?
Antigua 23 Aug 2013
In reply to goldmember:

wonder if its offensive to say "X kicks like a man" at a woman's football match?
In reply to goldmember:

Good Lord, no. I'm shocked. That would be discriminatory.

I'm a bit surprised f*ck isn't on the list. It seems to me that's blatantly discriminatory against heterosexual people. And as for 'bollocks' - well.

jcm
 ByEek 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Antigua: There was an interesting piece on More or Less asking the question "How man gay professional footballers are there in the UK?". On paper, the number is tiny if non-existent, but comparing footballers to the general population, there should be quite a few. I guess phrases like "Man up" and "kicks like a girl" are the blunt end of what would be horrendous abuse to a gay footballer (and there will be some in there) who declared their hand as it were.
 earlsdonwhu 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Antigua: I assumed that saying someone plays like a girl is a compliment ie they don't cheat so much, don't writhe around when touched by an opponent, don't abuse refs so much, don't dive for penalties etc!

In this instance I think it is LFC desperately trying to regain some moral credibility after eg. Suaraz's antics.
 nufkin 23 Aug 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> I'm a bit surprised f*ck isn't on the list. It seems to me that's blatantly discriminatory against heterosexual people.

Only the ugly ones. And even then, it doesn't always seem to be a barrier to it - you ever watched Jeremy Kyle's show?
Antigua 23 Aug 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> (In reply to Antigua)
> In this instance I think it is LFC desperately trying to regain some moral credibility after eg. Suaraz's antics.

Overcompensating?

earlsdonwhu 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Antigua: I would never call Suaraz 'gay' or girly' but I would call him a greedy cheating racist c### which apparently would be acceptable
 Skol 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Antigua:
Looking at that list, the away following may well be silent tomorrow?
 Skol 23 Aug 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
And, no mention of banning Munich disaster chants or arm actions?
 Fat Bumbly2 24 Aug 2013
I am not surprised to see few references to loving our animal friends. We get that one all the time and it is part of our identity - in the unlikely event of taking a lead, the customary chant is "1-0 to the sheepshggrs".

The whole censorship of football crowds thing is going to far and it now looks like I will fall foul of a nucrime for taking the micky out of The Slop -oops sorry Officer, I meant Shrewsbury Town, online.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...