UKC

high altitude sleeping mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flett 23 Aug 2013
Any one recommend a sleeping mat for mera peak in oct?

Thanks
 TobyA 23 Aug 2013
In reply to flett53: I'm not sure if you need something special for altitude (I guess you might not want to be blowing much up if you are out of breath?) but can tell you what I find works for cold temperatures.

I use a foam mat with a 3/4 length ultralite (or whatever the thin ones are called these days) thermarest on top. For about 15 years I've used the same Ridgerest but last year went for a Z-rest just because it packs a bit neater. This works well for Scandinavian winter conditions down to the coldest I've been willing to sleep out - around -28). You then have two mats that will work separately for summer camping, together they give loads of insulation and even if the thermarest punctures (mine has twice in 20 years of reg. use) the foam mat will still keep you warm-ish.
m0unt41n 23 Aug 2013
In reply to flett53: Exped Downmat 7 - super comfortable & warm, doesn't take that long to inflate, robust - its survived Karakoram treks, Cho Oyu (Base Camp as I took thermarest to higher camps). Same weight and size as Thermarest but twice as thick / warm / comfortable.
 andrewm1000 24 Aug 2013
In reply to flett53: if you are going with a company then check if they are carrying anything for you before u buy. Some companies provide foam mats and porters carry them for you in which case just a Ridgerest would be fine.
 andrewm1000 24 Aug 2013
In reply to andrewm1000: Otherwise for me its a thermarest 3/4 length and a ridgerest combination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...