UKC

How waterproof are unsealed tents?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwa 25 Aug 2013
Been looking at tents and have noticed that the more expensive and lighter tents on for example the Terra Nova website state that they are not factory sealed and therefore not fully waterproof. Are you likely to wake up in the morning soaking wet after rain in the night or is it not that bad? Is adding seam sealer a big faff? I'm inclined to spend less and carry a bit more weight to wake up dry but open to opinions.
 martinph78 25 Aug 2013
In reply to jwa: Seam sealing isn't a faff and is easy to do. TN used to supply a tube of sealer with they unsealed tents. Just run it along the stitching.

I've not done my Laser Comp and not woken up soaked, but I should probably get around to doing it. Don't know if my Ultra Quasar has been done, but so far no leaks anywhere despite plenty of rain to test it!
 xplorer 25 Aug 2013
In reply to jwa:

Never sealed my ME dragon fly, ME back country or a MHW sprite, and all have bad days and nights of rain without any leaks
needvert 25 Aug 2013
In reply to jwa:

Hilleberges don't seem to need sealing.

I had to seem seal my last macpac tent, was maybe 30 minutes in the living room. Nothing like factory tape, the end result was tacky for ages and relatively fragile.
ice.solo 25 Aug 2013
In reply to jwa:

BD single skins are ok in very light rain, and a light tarp sorts the heavy stuff. Its the condensation thats the real issue.
Sealing the seams isnt hard. Set up indoors and use a syringe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...