UKC

camping near Calais

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 26 Aug 2013
Anyone know any campsite near Calais that will let you in after 8 pm?
Am searching on the web and it seems that all French people go into
hibernation at 8 pm.Going on 29th Aug.

If not,any beach sites you may know?
Please email me.

Ta,Mitch
 woolsack 26 Aug 2013
In reply to paul mitchell: are you tenting or in a van?
 Morgan Woods 26 Aug 2013
In reply to paul mitchell:

is the Sangatte campground still open?
 balmybaldwin 26 Aug 2013

Why on earth would you want to camp near Calais? The place is a hole.

Go down the coast towards boulogne sur mer, there are a few beautiful spots along there
OP paul mitchell 26 Aug 2013
In reply to paul mitchell: Tent.Car too small to doss in it.
Partner booked ferry already.Will arrive at 8pm,just as it seems campsites put up the anti lion fence and garlic over the lintel.....
altirando 26 Aug 2013
In reply to paul mitchell: Recently I have taken to staying at the Villages Hotel, now renamed and part of the B&B budget hotel chain. Just off the autoroute and within sight of a Macdonalds. Saves a lot of fussing with tents etc, quick getaway in the morning.
 ByEek 27 Aug 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Why on earth would you want to camp near Calais? The place is a hole.

That was what I thought... until I camped near Calais. Turns out that a mere 5 miles away you are into beautiful French countryside, long empty beaches and classic French lifestyle.

Alas the site we camped at closes at 8pm, unlike the local excellent eatery.
 Trangia 27 Aug 2013

Why frigg around with camping? As has been said Calais is a dump anyway. Stay in a Formula 1 they are quick and easy to use. No need to bother with erecting and dismantling a (possibly wet) tent, and dirt cheap, particular with two of you. You pay for the room, not per person
 IPPurewater 27 Aug 2013
In reply to paul mitchell: Paul which way are you heading from Calais ?

Or is this for the return trip ?

Ian
 blurty 27 Aug 2013

In my experience, they are best avoided. We stayed at this place last year: http://www.les-oyats.com/

Looks lovely doesn't it? In reality it was full of French benefit tourists. (Fights in the night, enthusiastic shagging in the shower stalls, kids scrounging for money)

My kids call Formula 1 motels "Sperm Banks", Campanile motels can be pretty ropey as well.

If I was you, I'd find/ pre-arrange a nice rural one star hotel, 5 mins off the AutoRoute.

woolsack 27 Aug 2013
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to paul mitchell)
>
> In my experience, they are best avoided.
>

I won't stay in one again, stank like an ashtray and the neighbours sat up all night long making as much noise as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...