UKC

Who is coming to Joshua Tree this winter???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Russ Walling 28 Aug 2013
I know you guys sneak over here and do a bunch of scabby routes and then go home. Who has plans for this Fall or Winter out here in the land of Dummy Domes?

I heard that Mick Ryan was coming over.... three years ago.... WTF Mick? Get on over here.
Carney 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: Hey Russ, I should be over there for a couple of months in feb so will almost certainly stop off in J Tree for 10 days or so on the way over to Vegas. I might also be over in November but at the moment its looking more like I'll be the New RG, Red, and down in North Carolina.
 Offwidth 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: Quite possible as we tend to go out every other winter but not fixed yet.
 Dave Garnett 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm due another work trip to Carlsbad before the end of the year and usually try to get a weekend at JT if I can.
 1poundSOCKS 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: What are Red Rocks & J Tree like over the winter?
Russ Walling 28 Aug 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Similar temps, very different climbs and climbing style.
 Enty 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling:

Looking to be in the Valley 2015!

E
 wilkie14c 28 Aug 2013
Was there for a few days earlier this month, man it was hot! Spent the heat of the day kicking heels in JT town and Yucca. Would love to go in cooler temps, did some dool bouldering at jumble rocks though, got no fingertips left now, that rocks is rough! Got some ice from walmat, yucca and the wife and I sat atop jumle rocks drinking brandy and dry with ice watching the sunset. Magical and on par with watching an alpine dawn
 1poundSOCKS 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: Should have said I've climbed at both (much preferred Red Rocks), I was more concerned about how cold it would be.

I think some of the roads were lost to mudslide earlier this week. You better check it's still there before you book your holiday!
Russ Walling 29 Aug 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

This is kind of a neat site for weather that is climbing area specific:
http://www.climbingweather.com/forecast-by-state

Here is what they say:
http://www.climbingweather.com/Nevada/Red-Rocks/averages

http://www.climbingweather.com/California/Joshua-Tree-National-Park/average...

Here is some SuperTopo info about all things Red Rock:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbingareas/redrocks.html

But, both are similar except that back in the canyons in RR are butt-ass cold. The RR sport stuff in the sun will be warm. In JT, there are certainly cold spots, but on the whole I would think you will find warmer stuff in JT, unless you are doing nothing but sunny sport routes in RR.

Crossdresser: As for roads... what are you on about? Have some roads gone missing somewhere?

I saw on the news a couple of days ago that a massive rain storm hit Joshua Tree; some bridges looked like they might go and some stretches of road were buried under mud.

Looking at their website, it seems that there's just a lot of debris, and part of the park will be closed for the next two weeks:

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/parknews/2013august25flood.htm
Russ Walling 29 Aug 2013
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

Got ya. That is like 20 miles from all the climbing, on the far side of the Park where no sane person goes. That road, I swear to Satan, washes out a couple of times a year. And they just re-did the road too. Me thinks they should try some different repair method. It is such a common event that it did not even make the local paper!

The rain around here can be amazing, and most of it comes right around now, known as the "Monsoon Season". The winters are terribly dry and rain is rare after say October or so. Aug and and Feb are our wettest months, if .81 and .61 inches are considered wet.

Fair enough, I just happened to catch it on some local news channel. Actually, I later found out my mum got stranded in a visitor centre during the downpour; it sounded quite exciting to witness.

The climbing looks pretty good, but if you were travelling to CA from the UK is it worth the drive, or would you just spend all your time in Yosemite?
Carney 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: I was there in February and the weather was totally awesome. Really freezing at night(all the gallon water bottles would freeze solid!), but perfect in the sun during the day. On the other hand many routes on the steeper shady walls where the most bullet rock is often found were hard work and pocket hand warmers in chalkbags were the way to go.
 Offwidth 29 Aug 2013
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

The granite up there dries super fast. I've climbed on dry rock 30 minutes after a downpour. Even been up there when they had a foot of snow when a half mile walk into Indian Cove was the only option as the main road into the park was closed (scary top outs as the snow formed an icy rim on the rounded formations) XMas at JT is as close to guarenteed climbing as you can get.

In reply to Russ Walling.

We tend to stay in the sun at RR and JT at that time of year but temperatures have been too hot at times to do that in mid december and we have been forced into the shade. Still, over the years its mostly shady routes left on out tick lists.
Russ Walling 29 Aug 2013
In reply to crossdressingrodney: "The climbing looks pretty good, but if you were travelling to CA from the UK is it worth the drive, or would you just spend all your time in Yosemite?"

In the Winter I'd do Joshua Tree. Yosemite is pretty cold and holds some snow in the winter. Joshua Tree has over 7000 routes to do, so there is always something to perk you up. It is not like it is Heptonstall Quarry or something, and it is truly a world class destination.
 1poundSOCKS 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: Cheers Russ. Was mainly thinking about trad, but I do sport also. I never got to do a multi-pitch at Red Rocks due to rain.
Carney 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: Right on Russ! J tree is so amazing in winter. The nights are cold but the Sirloin is good and cheap down in Joshua Tree. Getting psyched now for February!
Incredible that you know of Heptonstall quarry!!
Russ Walling 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Carney: Heptonstall is one of my world wide favorite areas.

I've bled buckets there:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1624202

Michael Ryan 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Carney:

> Incredible that you know of Heptonstall quarry!!

You've heard of Yosemite, right? I bet you've even climbed there.

And so it is with Heptonstall in the USA.....plus Sylvia Plath is buried there.
Russ Walling 31 Aug 2013
Well, if any of you do come over (including you Mick) send me an email. I'll help sort you out on whatever you might need.
Carney 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Russ Walling: 'scuze the late reply, just got back in from Ceuze, but seriously no offense implied and thanks for the cultural education Mick, I even went and looked up Sylvia Plath!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...