UKC

Getting into fell running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 30 Aug 2013
Hi All a bit of advice needed .

Have been wanting to get into fell running for a long time and have a background in mountaineering and have run 3 marathons (london , snowdon and jungfrau ). Aim for next year is to run in the welsh 1000 metres .

I live in Surrey and I know my nav needs a lot of improving and also terrain will be a new thing for me .

Any advise on how to get started ?

Thanks
 Rampikino 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Yep. Join the FRA (Fell Runners Association).

www.fellrunner.org.uk

In joining you will be sent a comprehensive list of the various races that you can attend with all the contact details you need to enter. Then you can start to plot out which runs you want to do. There's also a lot of info on their page too!

I was surprised at just how sociable the whole thing is - a lot more than a standard running club.

Good luck.
 mbh 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Rampikino:

Yes, I got a lot of helpful advice, and actual offers of help when I recently asked some naive questions on the FRA forums about the BGR.
 wbo 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam: There are also a surprising number of people in Surrey active in fell. Are you in a club, and do you do Surrey League cross-country?
 Banned User 77 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam: Just enter races.

If you can run a marathon and hill walk you can fell run.

Just pick some races and start.
In reply to kingjam:

You don't have to join the FRA, fell running isn't that exclusive! Might be worth lurking/asking on the FRA forums - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/forum.php

The FRA do publish a list of races http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php but if you do join then you get a calendar and three magazines a year for the princely sum of £12. Races are categorised in two ways: by distance and by ascent/mile (toughness). Distances are: (S)hort, less than 6 miles; (M)edium, less than 12 miles & (L)ong. Toughness is indicated by A, B, C with A being the toughest. So a BM is a race between 6 & 12 miles in length with a moderate amount of up and down.

Basically find a race nearby, turn up, pay your money and run!

Races requiring good navigational skills have NS next to their details. Some of the longer, potentially more serious, races ask that you can demonstrate suitable fell running experience before you can enter.

Other than that, get out there and run!

ALC
 steveriley 30 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
Yep, I'd just pick an event and go. Races needing good navigation are the exception rather than the rule. It's a pretty friendly scene, most smaller events you just turn up on the day and enter there and then. Enjoy
OP kingjam 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Thanks for the advice
 steelbru 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam:
Majority of replies above are regarding races - you can of course just go fell running by yourself, with mates, with a club. Racing not compulsory, just get out and enjoy the countryside when you can
In reply to steelbru:
> (In reply to kingjam)
> Majority of replies above are regarding races - you can of course just go fell running by yourself, with mates, with a club. Racing not compulsory, just get out and enjoy the countryside when you can

This is all I do. Considered joining a club but I have mates who run too.
 LeeWood 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Running Bear socks; I swear by them
 snapperdan 30 Aug 2013
In reply to kingjam: They actually have a race up Box Hill in the FRA calendar!
In reply to kingjam: Racing is a great way to push your standards a bit-find a few people close to your level (which shouldn't be too hard if you race in the same area a few times) and try and beat them next time you're out! As mentioned above it is an extremely friendly scene and £4/5 normally buys you tea, cake and some good banter. I think as a social sport it is hard to beat; given the overtly competitive nature it is often more friendly than a session down at the climbing wall!

I did the welsh 3000's via the V3K race/event this year. Great fun, pretty cheap for a supported race and excellent terrain. My advice (it was my first ultra but i regularly do runs around the 20 mile mark) would be to get used to eating LOADS when you're out for a long run, and even if you can't hit the hills too often then get used to being out for a really long time, even if it's just walking. To quote Feet in the Clouds-'anyone can get fit, it's being HARD that's hard'. So true!

It's a brilliant day out, I can't wait to go back next year and try and shave a few hours off my time (12:45 and halfway up the field!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...