UKC

Well done to UKC-ers on 6000m 1st ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
For those who don't regularly go over to UKHillwalking (see what you're missing!) here's a trip report from site users almost sane, Caroline Mc and mattbillplatypus on their recent first ascent of a big hill in Jammu & Kashmir: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68312

Well done!
 TobyA 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Great stuff. Perhaps there's been more on UKH but Doug and Caroline have been UKC regulars for years, indeed I climbed with Doug-"almost sane" on one of the early UKC winter picnics over ten years ago!

Well done to all three. Looks like a great trip.
Clauso 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Many congratulations to the team. Not many get to bag a new mountain!
 d508934 30 Aug 2013

would love to hear more when the team are back, not just on the exped itself but on the planning, they could probably write an interesting guide to similar expeds for others who want to make that leap. what were they doing for the 2 years it took to plan, a schedule for that would be fascinating, what were the anticipated and actual costs of it all etc etc. oh and there climbing experiences that served as foundation for this.

it's such a great effort, i'm rather envious of them!! live that dream!
In reply to d508934: Good suggestion: I'll ask if they're interested...
almost sane 30 Aug 2013
In reply to d508934:

My first trip that involved first ascents came about after a phone call saying "Do you want to go to Bolivia in three and a half weeks"

Sometimes you have a dream and work at it. Other times you grab the chances that life puts before you.

More later, when we are back from Leh.

Oh, and if you are up in Scotland, I am thinking about maybe a talk or seminar on the non-climbing part of organising a climbing expedition. Let me know if that would be interesting.
Douglas Griffin 30 Aug 2013
In reply to almost sane:

Congratulations to you all, Doug! What a fantastic achievement.
James Jackson 30 Aug 2013

Good stuff! I've heard all sorts of things about unexplored valley systems in various remote parts of the Himalayas. Will get out there and explore some of them at some point!
 Rob Naylor 31 Aug 2013

A bit late posting in this forum Dan...see: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=561209
 Rourke 31 Aug 2013

That looks like a fantastic trip, well done to all of them must be a great feeling
 CarolineMc 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Rourke: Thank you, yes it is!

Also weird getting phone calls from the BBC...!!

Co:
 CarolineMc 31 Aug 2013
In reply to d508934: Happy to contribute some answers too. When I've had a bit of sleep...!! Co:
 d508934 01 Sep 2013
In reply to almost sane:

Yeah, can see what you mean. Live in the wilds of Hertfordshire so unlikely to get to a lecture unless it coincides with annual winter trip. Will certainly read any further articles you write on both the trip itself and the planning of it. Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...