UKC

ok to wire brush on sandstone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cragnag 31 Aug 2013
Crankmeister says go for it: www.witnesstheblogness.wordpress.com
 Run_Ross_Run 31 Aug 2013
In reply to cragnag:

Can't see the issue. What is Sandstone anyway?
 xplorer 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

You're better off with an angle grinder and wire brush attachment. Takes the chalk off a treat. Harder the better.
 Lukem6 31 Aug 2013
In reply to cragnag: A troll, to get a high number of page views nice try
 xplorer 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

Obviously a troll, but why would some one want a high number of page views?
 Fishmate 31 Aug 2013
In reply to cragnag:

What an idiot. I can't speak for hard sandstone, but as for soft southern sandstone, the outer shell is formed over hundreds of years due to weathering, so it isn't solid rock in the same sense as limestone etc.

If Crankmeister didn't wish to appear such a tw*t, he could have googled sandstone ethics and discovered why certain areas have the ethics they do. If we wire brush the hard outer casing it will wear and expose loose sand underneath (i.e. make it unclimbable).

Yes, soft sandstone can be very hard climbing and lowering your grade can be a good starting point until you are familiar with the rock. If you need to wire brush holds then you are climbing above your level. Dogging the shit out of routes is not advised due the rope grooves it makes below the anchor points. For this reason static is more suitable than dynamic rope also.

Blowing sand or dirt out of holds is acceptable, as is giving it a slap with a towel. If idiots like *ankmeister could find it in themselves to leave their ego's at home and be intelligent enough to learn local ethics and have some respect for them, many great climbs might still be enjoyed in many years to come.
cragnag 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Fishmate: I think it's a joke, and a roundabout way of making exactly the points you hold dear.
 xplorer 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Fishmate:

I think you need a spliff fishy
 Fishmate 31 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Fishmate)
>
> I think you need a spliff fishy

Funnily enough, I've held off today as I have some DIY to attend to. But good advice.

The irony is, that in this chaps links page, he states that 'I hate stuff where you can't tell if they are being funny or not'. An interesting contrast of values.

cragnag 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Fishmate: I think that bit's a joke too, (showing the CM to be a bit thick) but I grant you a bit obscure.
 Offwidth 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag: That blog is a knowing spoof of all the dumbness in some modern climbers lumped into one. Far from being thick in any respect.
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you think there's any chance that cragnag is the crankmeister / Tony, and knows that the blog is a spoof?
 JJL 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag:

Registered 18 Aug.

2 posts only:
1st to promote your blog
2nd (this one) to promote your blog

F*ck off

The Pylon King 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag:

wordpress.com

how common
 JDal 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Fishmate:
> (In reply to cragnag)
>
> What an idiot. I can't speak for hard sandstone, but as for soft southern sandstone, the outer shell is formed over hundreds of years due to weathering, so it isn't solid rock in the same sense as limestone etc.
> ...

In reply to Fishmate: Yes, there are BIG differences in sandstones. Even on one crag.

Bowden Doors is very hard at one end, with virtually no feldspar in the rock to feldspar rich at the other where even a hard bristle brush damages it and it needs stabilising.

I agree 100% with you on established crags, there's ever any need for wire there - hard sandstone or not. IMHO of course.

(ps - there's no significant hard outer casing on these hard pure quartz sandstones like Millstone Grit, or millstones wouldn't work).
cragnag 01 Sep 2013
In reply to JJL: the blog isn't money making, nor ever will be, so 'promoting' it is impossible and fruitless. Its a bit of fun, another way of having the same conversations we always have. Lots of posts 'promote' themselves by prompting responses. This is no different. So relax.
 TobyA 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag: But why not just say "it's my blog" if it is?
cragnag 01 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA: in jokes which start out with 'guy walks into a bar...', why does the guy have to walk into a bar? what does it matter anyway.
 Michael Gordon 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag:
> Crankmeister says go for it: www.witnesstheblogness.wordpress.com

Seems a bit weird to refer to yourself in the 3rd person as though you're talking about someone else?
 TobyA 01 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag:
> what does it matter anyway.

In the global scheme of things not much, but it seems vaguely dishonest which is a shame as the blog itself is funny. If you are the writer, be proud of it!
 krikoman 02 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag: Cock
ice.solo 02 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag:

lots of people dont know this, but for shiny sandstone its actually better to wire brush your hands. a light going over will do, just to burr up the skin, tho you may need to go a bit deeper to get a good burr on callouses.
 3 Names 02 Sep 2013
In reply to krikoman:

Get a life, its clearly a joke.
 Trangia 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:
> (In reply to krikoman)
>
> Get a life, its clearly a joke.

A joke in rather poor taste which is not original and has been aired on this Forum at least once, probably more, before.
 3 Names 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Well they say the old ones are the best dont you know.
 jonnie3430 03 Sep 2013
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to cragnag)
>
> Registered 18 Aug.
>
> 2 posts only:
> 1st to promote your blog
> 2nd (this one) to promote your blog
>
> F*ck off

Keep promoting your blog!!! This thread is well funny.

In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to cragnag)
>
> Registered 18 Aug.
>
> 2 posts only:
> 1st to promote your blog
> 2nd (this one) to promote your blog
>
> F*ck off

God, you're so miserable and unpleasant. Why do you have to swear at him? Is it because you're so unhappy and unfulfilled that you have to abuse others to make you feel better about yourself (that's the usual reason).

So what if he's promoting his blog? UKC is crammed full of people promoting themselves. The stuff crankmeister's written is funny, interesting and way better than much of what's written on here and which passes for "good". You need intelligence to write that sort of stuff...a little like Les Dawson playing the piano badly...you can't do it unless you're a great player.

Flahsy: Very good, witty and well worth reading. Keep it up and keep promoting it on here. Good show old bean. Don't worry about the knee jerk, lowest common denominators on here.
 victorclimber 03 Sep 2013
In reply to cragnag: seems reasonable that you should do what you feel you want to ..everybody else does ..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...